We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle

Which Kasane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
the Netherlands
reviews: 20
Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle

We are in Maun at the moment and hear different stores about taking our rented car to Vic Falls from the Kasana route.

We have a border letter from the Reninge company which told us that it is easy to take the car to Vic Falls. People here say it is a fuss.

Had anyone latent news?

Ciao

5 replies to this topic
Victoria Falls...
1. Re: Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle

If you want to visit victoria falls for a day it's not worth it to take a car across to zim as it takes long time to cross and it is a bit costly.

My advise will be if you can book for a day trip to vic falls .they can pick you and drop you of at the border after your day trip to vic falls.

Victoria Falls...
2. Re: Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle

If you want to visit victoria falls for a day it's not worth it to take a car across to zim as it takes long time to cross and it is a bit costly.

My advise will be if you can book for a day trip to vic falls .they can pick you and drop you of at the border after your day trip to vic falls.

Maun, Botswana
reviews: 2
3. Re: Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle

There is a lot of form filling, and some very expensive charges - special car insurance and special carbon tax charges all on top of the VISA fees

I assume you have a letter from your car rental company authorising you to take the car into Zimbabwe.

If you are just planning to briefly visit Victoria Falls from Kasane, ie a day trip, it may be less bothersome to take an organised day trip, otherwise be prepared for charges (payable in US$) and some form filling

Swakopmund, Namibia
4. Re: Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle

I agree. Even though your car hire company has given you authorisation to take the vehicle to Zimbabwe, the paper work and extra entry fees (which they call "carbon tax") just does not make it worthwhile. I also suggest you rather go to Victoria Falls on a guided day trip. The lodge where you are staying can assist ... we often use Chobe Safari Lodge's adventure desk.

Hope this helps.

Danie Steyn - Namibia Tours & Safaris

Maun
reviews: 3
5. Re: Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle

Most transfer companies will charge $90 per person per transfer plus zimbabwe visa's and park fees. By car it will cost anything between $51 to $100 for the road and carbon tax insurance, depending on the engine size of your car. Plus your visa of $55 per person. So even though its more hassle to take a hire car through, ie more form filling etc this would still be cheaper depending on the number of people travelling. In addition, you just have to make sure that the car rental company provide things required to be in the vehicle such as a fire extinguisher, warning triangle, light reflectors and a florescent jacket. The authorities will look for any excuse to fine you otherwise. I have always taken a car through and even though you need to allow anything between 1-2 hours in immigration it's still cheaper than booking a transfer.

Hope this helps.

Mark-Gondwana tours and Safaris (Maun)

Reply to: Driving to Vic Falls with own vehicle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted