We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing on getting from Victoria Falls to Duma Tau camp

Which Kasane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
jhawktx
reviews: 1
Timing on getting from Victoria Falls to Duma Tau camp

I want to ask about timing of getting from Victoria Falls airport (or Livingstone airport) to a camp such as Duma Tau. Our primary plan would be to arrive in Victoria Falls, spend the night, and then travel onward from the hotel in Victoria Falls to Duma Tau. However, let's assume the worst and we are delayed a day in our flights. This would cause us to want to skip Victoria Falls and get to Duma Tau as soon as possible. That means we would be arriving in Victoria Falls airport (or Livingstone airport) from JNB in the early afternoon. Would it then be possible to scurry from Victoria Falls airport and make it to Duma Tau before the end of the day?

Wayzata, Minnesota
reviews: 17
1. Re: Timing on getting from Victoria Falls to Duma Tau camp

either way is pretty much the same. if you wake up in the morning at a hotel in victoria falls or zambia you have two options. you can get a road transfer to one of the two airports (LVI or VFA). from there you can take a charter (about 20 min) to Kasane/BBK. this is where you clear customs/immigrations and possibly change planes or continue on the same plane to duma tau (about 50 minutes).

you can also get a road transfer from either side to Kasane/BBK. the road transfer is about 2 hours from Vic Falls and 2.5 hours from Livingstone as it involves a river crossing on a barge.

believe it or not, from the time you leave your hotel until you arrive in BBK is about the same if you go by road or charter flight. duma tau is only accessible by charter so you have to fly from BBK.

all these arrangements should be booked by the same company booking your safari. the driving option will save you about 150 pp. if you are late, you will likely be forced to charter from VFA or LVI to BBK on the day of arrival at additional expense to yourself.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

jhawktx
reviews: 1
2. Re: Timing on getting from Victoria Falls to Duma Tau camp

Thanks! Just to follow up on one point to make sure I understand. I looked at some airline times. It looks like there are 2 flights from JNB to VIC....one arrives at 1:10pm and the other arrives at 2:10pm. Here are my questions:

If I arrive at VIC at 1:10pm will I be able to get to Duma Tau before night falls that same day?

If I arrive at VIC at 2:10pm will I be able to get to Duma Tau before night falls that same day?

Wayzata, Minnesota
reviews: 17
3. Re: Timing on getting from Victoria Falls to Duma Tau camp

yes in both cases. you will have an abbreivated afternoon game drive but you will make it.

craig beal - owner - travel beyond

4. Re: Timing on getting from Victoria Falls to Duma Tau camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 15, 2011