We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Sun island and Places to visit in Bolivia

Which Copacabana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 23
How to get to Sun island and Places to visit in Bolivia

I would like to visit the sun island (budget), how can I get there? where to stay? prices? and also I would like to visit Uyuni during 4 days, which travel agency is the best option? Thanks for your help

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
1. Re: How to get to Sun island and Places to visit in Bolivia

You get a boat from Copacabana. It takes about 20 minutes.

Lots of places to stay - basic to 3-star. Just walk up the hill (very steep), and see what is available.

Prices are low. There are lots of agencies. Some are recommended on here, or look at Uyuni tourism sites.

When are you going? The flats are currently flooded and no tours are going across them, according to recent posts.

Hamburg, Germany
reviews: 73
2. Re: How to get to Sun island and Places to visit in Bolivia

There's only one way to get to isla del Sol and thats by boat- turns out most of the agencies are all owned by the same company so the prices are all the same. In saying this, its cheaper to buy directly at the shore rather than doing a package (there are plenty of package deals for day trips around the island, but I don't think its necessary or worth it).

If you want to walk to the ruins (the most popular ones are in the north of the island) you don't need a tour guide- just follow the masses of people.

If you want to stay overnight there's plenty of camping spots in the north of the island that are free or a minimal fee, you can camp on the beach as well (you'll need your own tent), hostel accommodation is not as nice in the north of the island than it is in the south- there are also far more accommodation options in the south but the south doesn't have any good swimming beaches so it depends on what you want to do there.

Hope that helps.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 3
3. Re: How to get to Sun island and Places to visit in Bolivia

I spent an afternoon and night on the south of the island then walked across it the next day to the north ferry point and got a ferry back to the mainland in the afternoon.

The ferry tickets are cheap, the food on the island is cheap and there is cheap accommodation as well. We stayed in a private room ( for 2 people) just before you hit the island ridge and it cost less than $10 per night for the room. I don’t think you can do Isla Del Sol for anything but budget unless you fork out for a guide..

4. Re: How to get to Sun island and Places to visit in Bolivia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Copacabana