We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

graduation restaurant

Which Ann Arbor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
key west
reviews: 13
graduation restaurant

need a great place that would be able to handle a table of 10 on graduation night in April and still have interesting innovative food. We are foodies. Last time we ate at the Campus Inn and it was lovely. Looking for something a little different this time.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
reviews: 146
1. Re: graduation restaurant

Webers Inn is a traditional graduation meal locale, but I can't say I'd choose there if I were looking for a "foodie" restaurant. The other traditional place is the Gandy Dancer. It is part of the Joe Muer collection. Interesting setting in a former train station. We enjoy their seafood, but it will definitely be a zoo on graduation day.

Too bad eve closed--I think that was the perfect upscale foodie place for graduation. Nothing has really replaced it.

Most of the restaurants aren't at their best on that day because of the crowds, but other less obvious choices might be either Pacific Rim for eclectic upscale Asian cuisine or maybe the Black Pearl for seafood (and its a martini bar).

If you are interested in trying some Cuban food (as if you couldn't get it at home), give Frita Batidos a try. It is good and interesting for Ann Arbor and I'd be curious how it compares for someone coming from Key West.

Congratulations to your grad! Bring warm weather with you when you come in April please.

Gaylord, Michigan
reviews: 144
2. Re: graduation restaurant

We have had good luck with groups at Metzgers on Zeeb Rd., if you don't mind driving a few miles from downtown. www.metzgers.net

They handled our group of 10 with no problem after a Michigan game when it was very crowded. You can make reservations for parties of 6 or more which I would do. They offer delicious,traditional German food and also American.

key west
3. Re: graduation restaurant

Thanks for the suggestions and the good thoughts. Will look into all of those and will hope for a warm graduations. Us islanders do not do well in the snow.

new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
reviews: 30
4. Re: graduation restaurant

If you want more innovative fare, I would suggest one of the restaurants on Main Street. I was thinking something like Gratzi or, one of my favorites right of Main Street, West End Grill. I am sure they could take a group of 10 and I am sure they will take reservations on graduation weekend. Just some thoughts...

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 995
5. Re: graduation restaurant

We recently ate at Gratzi, Moms, and did so from a recommendation from luv2. We were extremely pleased with our whole experience-service, location, decor, and the food was wonderful. We thought it a very cool place at that. I was going to suggest the place, but you beat me to it! I do want to try the Gandy Dancer sometime, as I have heard great things about this place, too. :)

key west
6. Re: graduation restaurant

Weve been to the Gandy Dancer but I would anticipate a crush that night. I was also looking at West End Grill and will have to call them this week I guess. Gratzi also looks wonderful. This is our third UM graduation, looking forward to it as it looks like it may be our last for awhile. Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
7. Re: graduation restaurant

jdjn--Thanks much for all your financial support of our university and town! ;o)

I love Gratzi, but they don't always handle the big crunch of graduation crowds well so it can either be a great experience or a really tedious meal, waiting too long for mediocre food.

key west
8. Re: graduation restaurant

you're welcome. I too am a wolverine so am enjoying passing it on to the next generation. So. Black pearl vs West End Grill??

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
9. Re: graduation restaurant

Black Pearl is a bit more casual than West End Grill. Part of what makes the Black Pearl different is taking your time with martinis and appetizers which are all outstanding, but if that isn't something you're interested in then West End Grill may be a better choice. I've eaten at West End Grill once and the food was good, a bit higher priced than it should be, but the restaurant itself is small and can be loud (but I guess they'll all be loud on graduation day!).

I'm a Wolverine who seems to be raising a Spartan since she's still sure she wants to be a vet. I guess we'll have our own in-state rivalry going if she continues on that path.

key west
10. Re: graduation restaurant

we are definitely martini and appetizer kind of people lol. Will call both, hopefully this week and see who can accommodate. Thanks for helping me narrow it down. Raising a Spartan is even worse than the Gator I raised after the wolverine, my sympathies.