We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai versus Istanbul

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai versus Istanbul

Just about to book Turkish Airline for Kuala Lumpur with two day layover in Istanbul.

Just found out that passage to KL via Emitras Airline with layover in Dubai for $700 less.

Dubai versus Istanbul, any suggestions

19 replies to this topic
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
reviews: 30
1. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

Dubai, not only is this the Dubai forum but it's $700 cheaper, which must make it a bit of a no brainer - unless you want to pay $700 more and visit Istanbul

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 70
2. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

I'd go for the cheaper fare and visit Dubai. Emirates is also a better airline - although there's nothing wrong with Turkish.

Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 38
3. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

Dubai of course. I am biased :)

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 140
4. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

Well, no offence, but Emirates is superior to Turkish Airlines. Also, transiting via Terminal 3 at Dubai Airport is nothing short of amazing compared to Istanbul Ataturk.

Time wise, you might be able to cover more ground in Dubai in two days than you would in Istanbul.

Weather wise, if your trip is anytime between June and August, I'd consider Istanbul. Don't get me wrong, many people visit Dubai during the summer heat and enjoy their vacations. Some even come specifically during the summers for several reasons, one being lower hotel rates, etc. It's very subjective and I don't know your preferences. I live in Dubai, but if I were to visit this wonderful emirate, I would pick sometime during the cooler months.

Finally, I don't know if the $700 difference can be the deciding factor, only you can estimate its impact on your holiday budget.

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

Other than the weather, as advised above, another difference is history and culture. There was very little in Dubai until a few decades ago and even that is mostly gone. 99% of what you will see is less than 40 years old.

On the other hand, Istanbul has centuries of ancient monuments, souks and palaces, and evidence of the various cultures that inhabited the city.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 79
6. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

<< Emirates is also a better airline - although there's nothing wrong with Turkish.>>

I`d also book cheaper variant, but i disagree with Turkish being lesser airline that Emirates, in my experience they ( TK) do FAR better and consistent service on-board than EK.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 20
7. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

Agreed, on-board service and product is superior to EK, especially their Do&Co catering in economy and business. I think that EK have a pretty solid first product though. I do think that ATK is a horrible airport to transit though compared to T3 at DXB.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
reviews: 79
8. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

<<. I do think that ATK is a horrible airport>>

You mean IST, of course....... mountains of rahat lukkum though.... some travelers LUV free tasting...LOL

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
9. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

Have been to both and love both places. It's a difficult one so as suggested above you might want to base your decision on price and flight.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
10. Re: Dubai versus Istanbul

<< Emirates is also a better airline - although there's nothing wrong with Turkish.>>

Both of them are 4 star airlines according to Skytrax. TK has been chosen the "best European airlines" for the past three years. TK's onboard service and product is superior to that of Emirates for economy class.

However, I have to agree with those who say DXB is superior to IST airport which works beyond its capacity and always very crowded throughout the year.

Best of luck,

Borus

Reply to: Dubai versus Istanbul
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted