We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington, United...
Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

Hi, off to the Atlantis in three weeks. My travel company has advised it will be Ramadan during our visit and the following MAY apply in our hotel (they have also contact the hotel but haven't been able to clarify so i'd rather seek advice from someone who has actually stayed there during Ramadan);

-No eating, drinking or smoking in public places. Does this include our hotel? The hotels private beach? Water park? Is it just for alcohol or all drinks etc? Are there designated smoking areas in the hotel (regardless of Ramadan)?

-Covering up. Will we need to stay covered in the hotel complex or just out and about?

-Playing music is banned and there is no entertainment. Is this correct for our hotel?

-Some restaurants and shops will be closed. Does this apply to The Atlantis - will many be closed?

Sorry for all the Q's but there are a few of us going and I need to manager their expectations.

Thank you in advance,

Lisa :o)

19 replies to this topic
Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
1. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

The information you require is in the Top Quesfions about Dubai which is on the right hand side of this page. It is the 6th link.

Warrington, United...
2. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

Hi - Just had a look at that but cannot see specifics about what happens during Ramadan at the hotel I'm staying in....?

Edited: 10:08 am, June 13, 2014
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 20
3. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

Correct, but the advice applies for the majority of tourist hotels in the city.

There will be no music or entertainment in the hotel, apart from the occasional background Arabian music. There will be no alcohol before sunset in any part of the resort. The hotel will serve food in certain locations throughout the day but this will be in curtained or screened areas. There will be no waiter service on the beach. You can eat and drink in these areas or in the comfort of your room.

You may want to respect the traditions and culture of a Dubai by covering your shoulders and legs when moving between the room and wet areas. This is the same advice throughout the year.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

Lisa, Ramadan is not hotel specific. It is for the total country and region.

To make it clear, there will be no music / loud entertainment during Ramadan (neither in your hotel nor anywhere else in Dubai). Nightclubs / Disco are closed.

During the day in all public places (that is outside your hotel room) you are not allowed to eat, drink and smoke. There are few exceptions: there will be designated, separated restaurants which will stay open (which one you will have to ask your hotel), most pools and water parks will serve food and non-alcoholic beverages (because Muslims will not go there anyway). However smoking is up to the hotel management and the pool situation. Mostly you can only smoke in your room.

All shops will be open.

Alcohol will be sold after sunset and prayer time (around 8pm).

Clothing will be enforced more strictly during Ramadan.

Edited: 11:15 am, June 13, 2014
Warrington, United...
5. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

Hi All - thank you for your help with this. I'm slightly regretting booking this holiday now! I just don't like the idea of having restrictions on our holiday and having to be careful etc. I think the holiday company should have made the above clear prior to booking, not afterwards - very disappointing!

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 18
6. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

hmm, whilst the above posts are correct it is not all doom and gloom - you can still have a very enjoyable time in Ramadan in Dubai,

It is more restrictive but most hotels will still allow eating, drinking and smoking around the pool area but not in public places. No alcohol served anywhere before evening (generally 8pm in the summer months).

Ramadan has coincided with my last two summer holidays in Dubai and it wasn't too bad (unless not being able to drink alcohol through the day is an issue).

When I lived in Dubai It was beyond me why anyone would want to visit during Ramadan but since I've moved back to the UK and have myself visited on holiday during the holy month I've noticed the top end hotels try their best to accommodate for tourists and its business as usual (apart from no alcohol) around the pool.

The more popular bars still do play music (some quite loudly at that) but there is no live music and all nightclubs will close.

The plus side of Ramadan is there are some good deals to be had and prices tend to be cheaper, also the place comes alive at night.

Why don't you look through hotel reviews for Atlantis for Ramadan last year to give you an idea what to expect.

Last year I encountered numerous hotel guests from the UK who had not even been advised it was Ramadan by their travel agents....so they got a bit of a surprise when trying to get a mid afternoon pint!!

Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 38
7. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

If you are coming to dubai to party and jump from one night club to the other then you will feel the difference during Ramadan. However if you are coming to relax and do site seeing then do not regret it too much. Many people come to dubai during Ramadan and do enjoy their time. In short, it's not as bad as people depict it. Restaurants in your hotel will serve food for non Moslems. No alcohol during daylight in your hotel but at night they serve it. You will have food and drinks served at the pool as no Moslems will go there anyway due to heat and dehydration and people in swim suits. If you go outside the hotel to malls food courts will be closed but some restaurants in malls will continue to serve food behind closed doors. Anyway, You will come enjoy your time and write back to tell us about your experience.

Edited: 12:54 pm, June 13, 2014
Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 20
8. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

I think most holiday companies are now instructed to add a disclaimer reference Ramadan in their materials.

I would say that it's a very special time to visit Dubai. You will get to experience Iftar and the great atmosphere at night. People often ask for culture in Dubai and this is a perfect example. Even if you are not Islamic the message that fasting brings is still a very prudent and beautiful one.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
reviews: 30
9. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

There were similar posts last year from people who were wondering about Atlantis during Ramadan and they went and had a great time.

Normally, the experience at a 5* hotel on the beach is no different to any other time of year, with the exception that no alcohol is served anywhere (no exceptions) until after sunset so the reality is that you will not notice Ramadan is in force when you are in the hotel.

However, and trying to be brief, each establishment has to apply for a license from the UAE authorities to serve food and drink in public and so it is never possible for anyone to confirm with any certainty exactly what will happen at any hotel or mall (as another example)

In past years you have been able to have soft drinks and snacks by the pool and most restaurants in hotels functioned as normal, however, some hotels were stricter last year than in previous years so it meant getting up off the sunlounger and walking to a tented area for drinks and food. Please note that the hotels do this very well and spend ages setting these tented areas up with ornaments etc so they create a nice space to go to rather than bunging up a bit of tarpaulin.

Again in past years certain restaurants in malls were allowed to stay open if curtained off, however, last year they seemed to crack down on this and many places outside the hotels remained completely closed during the daylight hours except for the purchase of takeaway food.

So in short go with the expectation it will be strict and have a nice surprise if it isn't rather than go with the expectation it won't be strict and then be disappointed if it is.

Enjoy it. Ramadan is a very special time in Dubai and after sunset everywhere is alive with great Iftar buffets and the malls open until at least midnight and 2 am at weekends.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 18
10. Re: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?

I agree Latimer, a few years back a lot of fast food places and coffee shops remained open during Ramadan in the malls however they've not been as many the last few years but I think this is because the license fee is so high the shops were not making enough profit to make it worth their while.

I do know a few KFC's remained open last year and several of the fast food outlets in the shopping precinct in Atlantis last year remained open also.

Regarding hotels, city hotels, tend to be a stricter around their pool areas and have tented off areas but beach hotels tend to be more laid back ... it generally comes down to how private the pool area is, every hotel will have different guidelines.

Reply to: Has Anyone Stayed at Atlantis, The Palm during Ramadan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted