We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting during Ramadan

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
reviews: 1
Visiting during Ramadan

Hi all,

We are frequent visitors to Dubai and have holidayed there about 15 times, however this year will be our first time visiting during Ramadan. We are once again staying at DAM and I am aware that alcohol won't be served around the private or main pools during the day and "Sundowners" will take place from 7pm till 8pm rather than from 6pm till 8pm. Also the food courts in the malls will be closed throughout the day. As none of the above are deal breakers for us (my wife can easy drink plenty in an hour rather than two!!!!) I would like to ask if there are any other differences or rules that we need to be aware of? Sorry for my ignorance but any info you think would be helpful would be appreciated.

Thanks

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
reviews: 30
1. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

You could have read of the section on Ramadan in the top questions to the right of the posts page

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

You likely know the other points already. But just in case of:

- no swear wording

- increased politeness and patience (things will slow down after 2pm, many people will be dehydrated and have problems to concentrate)

- no drinking, eating or smoking in public areas during the day (that incl. chewing gums)

- dress code: a bit more conservative / covered up

- longer opening hours in the evening / more people in the malls in the evening

- many great Iftar buffets

- no kissing in public (like always, but people will get faster irritated)

- most if not all night clubs and discos will be closed

If you are looking to your right, there are some more details about Ramadan.

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 18
3. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

There is no 'live' music played in the evenings however most bars still play recorded music, sometimes at a slighter lower level.

It is a little more restricting but there is nothing to stop you having an enjoyable holiday - the madinat bars and restaurants were still busy last Ramadan.

Dubai
reviews: 36
4. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

This may seem that I am stating the bleeding obvious but there are no Friday brunches during Ramadan.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
5. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

Actually that's not true, some still take place but without alcohol

Dubai
6. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

Really.

Where?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
7. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

AL Qasr for one

Dubai
8. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

I'm extremely surprised. I'll have to check it out.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 64
9. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

The Al Qasr brunch during Ramadan is nothing like a normal brunch. Obviously no alcohol will be served, and the food selection will be smaller, no one will be permittied outside with food and drinks and the restaurant where it is held will be screened off from the public. Most hotels open at least one restaurant at lunchtime for its guests but it will closed off fom public view and there will be no music.

10. Re: Visiting during Ramadan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 12, 2014