We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Laws and customs

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Dubai Laws and customs

I am travelling to Dubai on a stopover with my partner and child. We are not married, and I am concerned about the law that unmarried couples are not allowed to stay in the same hotel room. Is this enforced for tourists? Have any unmarried couples had any problems? Thanks.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 55
1. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Nobody has problems unless they come to the attention of the police for another reason. Search this forum for countless threads on this subject.

Tamworth, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
reviews: 8
2. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Lots of visitors to Dubai are unmarried with children. In turn lots of women do not change their surname when getting married, so even looking at passports means nothing to anyone. It will not be a problem.

perth
reviews: 1
3. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

I am travelling to America but will be in transit in Dubai. I have medication but not in their original packaging as I have so many and they are contained in a 7day week webster pack. I have copies of the packaging that say what each medication is + details of medication ingredients will this be alright

Moscow, Idaho
reviews: 14
4. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Hello, I will be on an 8 hr layover in Dubai, is it okay for a single women to sightsee around town alone, if need be.

k

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 12
5. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Yes, no problem. Very safe.

If you have an USA passport you get a visa on entry. No paper work to prepare at all.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 55
6. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Dubai is a very safe city with almost zero street crime, you'll be safer in Dubai than almost any other big city you can mention.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 3
7. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

prillperth - try to get the doc's prescription (or letter listing your medicines) and keep it handy. You should be ok.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
reviews: 5
8. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Hi

No worries about medicines for transit passengers you are not entering the Emirate you don't go through Customs just security

Regards

Doug

9. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Hello

Im stopping over in dubai for a few hours and transferring through to london early june. I just read on smarttraveller website that they can charge you with drug posession from a urine test? I completely understand that theyre laws are different to ours and to intend to diligant whilst there. But im really freaking out.

I occasionally smoke marijuana and although i would never even consider travelling with drugs, cannabis can take a long time to get out of your system. I obviously will not be smoking anymore. This is my first trip overseas and im extremely worried aware this is my own fault.

Should i seriously be reconsidering my travel plans?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
reviews: 26
10. Re: Dubai Laws and customs

Why do you think they will test your urine ?

Do you think they have either the time or the resources or the need to test everyone's urine.

That will only happen if your behaviour draws you to the attention of the authorities so behave normally and you won't get a urine test