We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai airport

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Dubai airport

MorgsNRhys

Perth...

“ Dubai airport ”

Mar 01, 2011, 5:56 AM

My partner and i are flying out of amsterdam to dubai after doing 3 months of backpacking over the states and europe. We have read how strict and unfair the custom officials can be in dubai. Coming from a place where most fun things are legal like amsterdam we were wondering if we have anything to worry getting through customs. (obviously were not trying to smuggle anything into dubai)

Report inappropriate content

Save this Post

Workington, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Dubai airport

If you have nothing illegal then you have nothing to worry about ..

Perth, Australia
2. Re: Dubai airport

After reading some articles i think it was on www.dubai-online/essential.com airport customs it seems like it could be a dodgey place no matter how many precautions you take

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 9
3. Re: Dubai airport

If you have nothing illegal then you still have nothing to worry about ..

leicester
reviews: 10
4. Re: Dubai airport

As you have been in amsterdam for awhile and you asking such a question i get to believe you have been smoking some purple haze or white widow lol.

anyways to the point, just make sure you clean and do not smell of anything dodgy also make sure your pockets do not have any of the substances, doesnt matter what the amount.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 20
5. Re: Dubai airport

Welcome to the Dubai forum.

I wouldn't describe the customs authorities as 'unfair', quite the opposite actually. They follow the letter of the laws within the UAE. It's not up to you or me whether they are stopping fun or not. In my regular travels I have never been stopped by them, and found the security personnel in the airport friendly.

In the unlikely event you are stopped there is a zero tolerence on narcotics possession, so ensure you aren't tempted to keep any souvenirs from your previous locations. This also includes any particles in clothing, pockets, cases, wallets, shoes etc.

This advice will also be echoed if you are to continue your journey to certain parts of Asia. Many backpackers are caught foul by the Thai officials where the laws are equally as strict.

Muscat, Oman
reviews: 7
6. Re: Dubai airport

You're obviously worried about landing in Dubai. Why don't you re-route?

Edited to add that if a blood test shows that you've previously partaken of illegal substances that still counts as 'posession'.

Edited: 2:24 pm, March 01, 2011
Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
reviews: 34
7. Re: Dubai airport

Just wanted to make the point that customs officials in Dubai are no more 'strict and unfair' than any other nation when it comes to drugs - as far as I am aware they are illegal in most places other than Amsterdam and in Asia and the Far East the penalty is death.

You will find that the customs officers are no more 'strict and unfair' than the customs officers in Perth would be if you were flying straight home there from Amsterdam.

8. Re: Dubai airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 24, 2012