We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency to Take to Dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Markham, Canada
reviews: 16
Currency to Take to Dubai

Leaving for Dubai from Canada next Monday ......

I have read that the best currency to take to Dubai is the pound or Euro and exchange it at the shopping centre on a per need basis.

Does this apply to Canadian Dollar as well? Or should I get a minimal amount of AED in Canada before departing?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Bangor, United...
reviews: 7
1. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

Hi, Best thing to do is exchange your money in Dubai. You can get it changed as you land - Exchange is right beside luggage carousel so no problems.

Apparently at the minute Exchanges at the Malls are giving a better rate so just change a little to keep you going until you are out and about.

No need to change your canadian dollars in to anything else before you leave

Markham, Canada
reviews: 16
2. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated!

Bangor, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

You are very welcome! Have a Great Trip!

manchester
reviews: 5
4. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

Coming Dubai next week from England. I usually get travellers cheques and tiny bit of cash for whatever country Im going then change the travellers cheques as and when I need them whilst away. Should I get stirling travellers cheques or Dollars? And what is the name of the cash I need to get a small amount of?Also do you know when in the malls if buying anything using your credit card do you need to take your passport too?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
reviews: 30
5. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

I haven't ever used travellers cheques for Dubai and I don't know anyone else who does.

I take £200 sterling, change £50 into dirham at the airport in Dubai and then the rest as and when I need it from the exchange houses in the malls. If I need more money I just use my bank card in the ATM machines - they are everywhere.

I have never been asked for my passport when buying anything by credit card.

Kilmarnock, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

Cookie

The first time we went to Dubai we took trav checks with us (at that time we never heard of trip advisor)

We had a helluva bother getting them cashed in outside of our hotel.Since then its always been sterling and plastic cards

Tyne and Wear
Destination Expert
for Dubai
reviews: 17
7. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

It may be better for you to actually bring US $ to Dubai as the rate in the UAE is pegged against the dollar, this means it doesnt change.

$1 = AED3.67

You should be now able to work out if you will lose on the Canadian to US exchange and if it's worth it.

I have'nt used travellers cheques for years, in fact I thought they had been replaced with those pre paid cards now!!

The currency in the UAE is called the United Arab Emirates Dirham. (AED)

south wales
reviews: 3
8. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

Hi Latimer

I read with intrest that you use your bank card at ATM's . How does the rate you receive compare with that which you could get at the exchanges in the malls.

Is the rate also simular when using a credit card.

Thanks in advance

south wales
reviews: 3
9. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

Hi Latimer

I read with intrest that you use your bank card at ATM's . How does the rate you receive compare with that which you could get at the exchanges in the malls.

Is the rate also simular when using a credit card.

Thanks in advance

manchester
reviews: 5
10. Re: Currency to Take to Dubai

Right so Travellers Cheques are a no! I will take a cple of hundred in english then, and say 50 in Dirhams. Do you know if its really expensive to use the ATMs each time? Im probably best withdrawing what I need in one go and putting it in safe. Ive had all my money stolen on a past holiday (not Dubai) hence my caution!