We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

e-tickets

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
e-tickets

Hi there

Any advice good or bad would be appreciated please.

We are getting our tickets in the post next next and been told that they are e-tickets. This is new to us.

Has anyone had any experiance with these? Would love to know.

Thanyou

Fizzywoo x

Newton Abbot...
reviews: 1
1. Re: e-tickets

E tickets are a printout of your flight itinerary rather than actual tickets, just use them at checkin as usual.

UK
reviews: 4
2. Re: e-tickets

If you have e-tickets, you will not receive them by post - e-tickets are "electronic tickets" and basically exist only within the airlines' computer systems.

What you will probably receive by post is an "e-ticket receipt" - which will start the passengers names, the itinerary and the reservation/e-ticket number. I always take a copy of that receipt (and any other itinerary information) with me when I travel.

Basically when you get to the airport with an e-ticket, all you have to hand over at check-in is your passports (you don't hand over the e-ticket receipt). The check-in agent will scan your passports and that will allow them to access your e-ticket. From then on, everything is normal - they will print your boarding passes etc as normal. They will sometimes give you another printed card with your return journey details, but not always - that is fine, because you don't actually need it for anything (since your actual ticket is 100% electronic).

It is useful to have the e-ticket receipt (that you will be sent in the post) for both itinerary information (to remind to of your flight times etc) and JUST in case anything goes wrong (although I have never had any problems with e-tickets and have been flyign on them for years).

E-tickets are VERY common now - I would say that 95% of all my tickets over the past 5 years have been e-tickets (most often I book over the internet, the internet companies issue the e-ticket and email you the e-ticket receipt - simple). Not having paper tickets means just one more thing not to loose, have stolen or leave at home - can't be a bad thing :-)

Hope that helps.

UCC

Scarborough, United...
reviews: 35
3. Re: e-tickets

If you have the e-ticket reference number you should be able to check in on line 24 hrs prior to departure and choose seats and meal option on the airlines internet site

I allocated my seats back in August with BA -

I'm off in 2 weeks without any tickets for train plane and hotel just e-mail print outs

No worries

UK
4. Re: e-tickets

Depends on the airline - some offer online check-in, some don't. But - as seamermate points out - well worth checking to see if your airline does: much nicer to choose your seats than have them allocated randomly... :-)

Both Virgin, AA and BA (and maybe some other airlines) offer a "Manage My Booking" (or similarly entitled) service which allows you to request special meals etc ahead of time. You can access your booking via their website as soon as you get your 6 digit (normally) alphanumeric reference number. The reference number should be on your e-ticket receipt.

Virgin allows you choose your seats well ahead of time (though their "Manage My Booking" service) - so, if you are flying Virgin, check it out as soon as you have your flight reference number. BA nolonger offer this (started with all flights booked after 1st January 2007, I believe). So seamermate could allocate his seats (bought last year) for his upcoming trip. But I booked flights on BA in February for this coming September and couldn't allocate seats :-( (a bit rubbish really!).

UCC

Scarborough, United...
reviews: 35
5. Re: e-tickets

I agree with UCC on the BA score...I had the whole plane to myself back in August..lol

I've used KLM & Monarch recently which offer a similar service...

UK
6. Re: e-tickets

Shame it doesn't stay that way - a whole plane to yourself would be kind of cool :-)

I didn't realise that KLM and Monrach also offer the service - very well worth using :-)

UCC

Manchester
7. Re: e-tickets

Nothing to worry about and the others have summed it all up really.

I think it's down to personal opinion on whether you actually like them or not.

I think e-tickets are great if you are on business or have no checked baggage as you can usually check-in via pc or one of the specially located screens at the airport then it's straight through security to departure.

For holidays though we tend to use more paper tickets, booked direct with Emirates this time and have 'real' tickets to hand over at check-in.

Have a good trip!

8. Re: e-tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 01, 2009