We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Woman & White Man at Jeddah Airport for 15 Hours...

Which Jeddah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 6
Black Woman & White Man at Jeddah Airport for 15 Hours...

Hi -

I'll be transiting through Jeddah Airport for 15-hours with my girlfriend who is a black woman. I'm a white American, and I understand this is a strange question but based on our experience together in India and parts of the middle east - she can be treated quite negatively based on her skin tone.

I was wondering if there are any issues to be had at the airport for such a long time, and if there is a lounge we can pay to go into for such a long duration.

I'm asking this question out of quite a bit of negative experience with her in the region, and not out of stereotype. Any helpful advice, tips and suggestions are welcome. We are going to be in the airport the whole duration.

Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Sydney
reviews: 30
1. Re: Black Woman & White Man at Jeddah Airport for 15 Hours...

You should not have any problems in Saudi Arabia based on skin color, but relationship may raise eyebrows.

Edited: 7:56 am, September 06, 2013
Sydney
reviews: 30
2. Re: Black Woman & White Man at Jeddah Airport for 15 Hours...

You should not have any problems in Saudi Arabia based on skin color, but relationship may raise eyebrows. And not sure if you can use a lounge.

15 hrs is a long time in that airport. Not much available at all.

London, United...
reviews: 33
3. Re: Black Woman & White Man at Jeddah Airport for 15 Hours...

Curiosity exists everywhere, as does racism. In this instance you need to ensure you don't bring attention to yourself. As you've been to the Middle East before, you'll know all about modesty in terms of dress and behaviour.

As other threads in this forum have concluded, it appears to be difficult to get into a private lounge at this airport. However, nothing ventured nothing gained. Due to the hideously long layover you have, I'd enquire at some of the lounges to see if you can buy your way in.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 265
4. Re: Black Woman & White Man at Jeddah Airport for 15 Hours...

Hope both your flights are on Saudian, as if it not the case, you're in trouble (terminal change impossible without immigration).

Then you'll spend hell of a time in a small terminal with very limited facilities. Not quite a pleasure... While many women are not wearing any scarf at the airport, I'd suggest your GF to cover her hairs (a simple scarf would suffice). This simple gesture will ease your life.

Safe trip

Reply to: Black Woman & White Man at Jeddah Airport for 15 Hours...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted