We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi meter

Which Jeddah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 300
Taxi meter

It seems the government was fed up as well with taxi drivers' practices:

http://www.arabnews.com/news/459965

Is this now a reality in Jeddah?

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
1. Re: Taxi meter

Hi,

I don't think so, not yet anyway. If I hear of any news regarding this story I shall let you know.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 300
2. Re: Taxi meter

Thanks, AjarnAndy. To be honest, I usually ask the hotel to send a car to avoid the taxi hassle at the airport... Still when down town, these guys might become useful...

London, United...
reviews: 33
3. Re: Taxi meter

I doubt whether this will make much difference to customers in reality. Taxis all over the world have had meters in them for years and yet the customer still gets fleeced. "Sorry my meter isn't working" is a classic ploy to negotiate a higher fare up front. Even if both parties agree to use the meter, the cabbie will always know a longer way round thus accruing more miles. And if you've ever been to London, you'll know that the iconic black cabs here have meters that keep running even when tbe cab is stationary in traffic.

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 40
4. Re: Taxi meter

LOL! One of my colleagues (a 2nd timer to KSA) got done in for EUR150 from the airport to Jeddah downtown...and the cabbie got lost, took them more than an hour to find the hotel. Somehow I don't see meter's working that well...negotiating fare has become the norm...unless, like in Dubai the rate is government fixed, you can demand a reciept and there is a 24h multi-lingual call centre that can handle complaints.

5. Re: Taxi meter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 15, 2014