We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting villages & overnight trips from LP

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Visiting villages & overnight trips from LP

Hi, just wanted to check if when visiting laos villagers around LP is it ok to give small gifts to the children? Such as colouring books, pencils ect?

Also we are in LP for 8 day and want to do a small side trip can anyone suggest anything we did hear of a small place you can catch a bus to around 4 hrs I think. Stay for a night or two and come back via the river? But I can't remember the name. Any help appreciated- thank you.

Vientiane
reviews: 57
1. Re: Visiting villages & overnight trips from LP

This is not a good idea as it breeds a certain mentality. Better is to donate these items to a local school.

Sydney Australia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Visiting villages & overnight trips from LP

One activity -- see my previous posts -- that I recommend is to hire a boat and travel down (not up!) the Mekong for a day (usually starting around 9:00 am and back in LPB by around 4:00 pm). The boat seats around 12 and should cost 500,000 kip with tip if happy (I tip 50,000). Boats may need to be booked a day in advance, with half down; owners / pilots can be found around the Mekong boat pier or by the steps down to the Mekong to the side of Wat Xieng Thong. The journey will usually involve stops at maybe three villages, and definitely visit the hilltop Wat on the left bank. Pack a picnic lunch.

Consider also meeting novice monks, who are very friendly and love to practice their English, and if you connect, look into some form of sponsorship. I now sponsor two young Lao men who just started university, and visit with them and their family and village every year (three hours by van north of LPB, then three hour upriver in Onsi's father's boat). I assist their local school and bring gifts of all kinds, and books, for the village kids. Eight days is a good period of time to get to know Luang Prabang and make some lasting connections!

3. Re: Visiting villages & overnight trips from LP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 05, 2014