We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas...
reviews: 1
Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

Hello,

I'm traveling to Laos in February 2014, and am curious how far in advance I should book my ticket to get the best rate.

I'm also wondering if I should buy the different legs of the trip separately, or just purchase the trip altogether through Kayak.

This is my first trip to Asia, and my hope is that if I plan enough in advance I can make the (quite long) trip as stress-free as possible. If anyone here has any tips for me, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Naomi

Canada
reviews: 15
1. Re: Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

Be careful if you buy two separate tickets when you are trying to make a same-day connection. If the flight from your first ticket is delayed enough to cause you to miss the connecting flight on the second separately purchased ticket you'll be on your own. You'll have to buy a new ticket and hope that there are available seats. Flights to/from Laos are not particularly plentiful and February can be a busy time of year.

When I went to Laos, I purchased a round trip to Bangkok and then a separate ticket for my flights between Bangkok and Laos. I stayed a couple of nights at each end in Bangkok before continuing my onward journey.

Lower cost options to fly between Thailand and Laos include domestic flights on a Thai low-cost airline (such as Thai Air Asia or Nok Air) between Bangkok and Udon Thani for access to Vientiane or between Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani for access to Pakse. You then take the bus between Thailand and Laos (or vice versa). I took the bus from Pakse to Ubon Ratchathani to catch a flight to Bangkok. There are several forum topics about these options if you use the search function.

Be aware that Thai Air Asia and Nok Air fly out of Bangkok Don Muang Airport in the north end of the city while all long-haul international flights use Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport which is east of the city.

As for timing, it's impossible to say when to buy. Air fare pricing is a dynamic and tricky thing to predict. When you find a price that is within the budget you have set out then buy.

Santa Cruz, Cal
reviews: 9
2. Re: Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

if you are looking to save money, find a cheap ticket to LAX or SFO, I always fly China airlines from either airport, its usually close to the cheapest fare, I think Korea air is cheaper but a longer total time, and if you book on their website you can check the week you want to go and find the best fare from that week, also its a 2 hour turn around in Taipae so no long layover, you can use Delta miles too, from Bangkok you should take a look at Lao Central, they fly direct to Vientiane for less than $100 each way from BKK airport, Asia Air and Nok air fly from Don Muang airport, I usually stay in Bangkok or Pattaya for a day or two because you'll be tired by then and continuing the same day to VTE is just too much for me, and I have found the same priced tickets more or less any time up to a couple weeks before you go, in February if you see very high prices it because of Chinese new year so plan around those dates, good luck

3. Re: Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:46 pm, September 13, 2013
4. Re: Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:45 pm, September 13, 2013
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
5. Re: Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

I did a little checking, and the cheapest routing would be though Hanoi on Asiana or Korean (approx $1350. roundtrip)

From Hanoi to LP it's approx $145. one way on Lao Airlines (this is what I paid last year, sorry don't know the roundtrip $)

If you do it roundtrip into LP the price is unbelievable at about $1900.!

(both Asiana and Korean are excellent and usually arrive with very few lengthy delays, but do leave at least 4 hrs transit time in Hanoi) - you would need a multiple-entry VOA visa* for Vietnam with the above, and the Lao visa can be bought easily in LP

*pre-purchase online for Vietnam - you must show the Approval Letter to the airline (important)

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
6. Re: Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

By the way, if your routing on Korean is via Atlanta you would be flying on the brand new A380 as far as Seoul (I believe they also fly out of Dallas)

Edited: 1:37 pm, September 15, 2013
7. Re: Flight from Houston to Luang Prabang

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 17, 2014