We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laos, Luang Prabang

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 10
Laos, Luang Prabang

We are traveling to Luang Prabang for a quick stop over while we travel through Asia. We have 2 nights in Luang Prabang at the start of October and were wondering what we can do while we are there. I've read about the Alms giving at dawn to the Monks and also the waterfalls, but we're interested in what others have done and experienced while they were there?

sydney
reviews: 76
1. Re: Laos, Luang Prabang

Hi Andrew,

A visit to the Kwang Si waterfalls is lovely - see the Bear rescue centre while you're there too. 40 min junbo ride out there gives lovely views of landscape.

I also visited a weaving village about 5km out of LP - can dig out the info if this is something that might interest you.

I always urge people to watch the morning alms from a distance rather than join in - I liken it t thinking it would be OK to join in holy communion if you are not Catholic - just a bit of poor taste/manners. We stayed at the Villa Chitdara and could watch discretely from our balcony.

Make sure you have a beer lao and basket of river weed at one of the riverside restaurants at sunset - great way to wind down at the end of the day before heading up to the main street to check out the night markets.

safe travels

helen

Washington, DC
reviews: 95
2. Re: Laos, Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang is absolutely charming. Sites mentioned above are nice, but wandering about the town and visiting the various wats, sitting in cafes watching the villagers or perhaps a boat ride up the Mekong are all ways to pass the time there. U can cross the rickey bridge over the Kham River and explore the "other side" which is a bit less touristy. After bing in Bangkok and then Siem Reap, we enjoyed it just because it wasn't crowded or noisy or polluted.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 111
3. Re: Laos, Luang Prabang

Hi there,

You could spend a day just exploring the town, seeing some temples and Mt Phousi, and another to see the waterfalls. There is a lot to do and see. Pity you only have 2 days.

You can have a look at my blog for more info about LP with some photos to get some ideas too.

…blogspot.com.au/search/…201

Enjoy!

- K

Sydney Australia
reviews: 5
4. Re: Laos, Luang Prabang

Take some time and visit with Novice Monks at one of the wats--they love to practice their English! And consider sponsorship if you meet a novice you like! Also visit Big Brother Mouse, and take a tuk-tuk to Pousi Market (in the morning) to explore a local "shopping mall." Climb Pousi Hill, visit the museum in town. If you're feeling adverturesome, hire a boat (on the Mekong side) and ask the pilot to take you downriver for a morning / afternoon visiting local villages. Wonderful, and very affordable (I paid 500,000 kip for a full day, for six of us). Luang Prabang is one of my most favorite spots on earth--you will enjoy it tremendously!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 10
5. Re: Laos, Luang Prabang

Wow thanks for the tips everyone!!!! Now I wish we had extra days there but we will make the most of it anyway!

sydney
reviews: 76
6. Re: Laos, Luang Prabang

Re post #4... do some homework before agreeing to sponsor novice monks - a quick forum search should bring up possible pit-falls including who/how do you pay the money to? what evidence you might want as to their progress and your continuing sponsorship? There are several great posts by a member called Maneik-neko on this.

I've also just remembered - in the Royal Palace museum (right down the back out of sight) is a collection of cars - my DH loved it. I loved the museum of Ethnology - tucked in at the side of Mt Phousi.

7. Re: Laos, Luang Prabang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, June 20, 2013