We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
reviews: 42
Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

We will be in Luang Prabang in May 2012 and would love to visit the Moon Bear Sanctuary and the Kuang Si Falls. I understand I can get some form of transport to a certain point. My question is - is the walk very difficult (i.e. long distance, climbing etc) or is there some point where I could just go for a swim. Im not very sure-footed!! Thank you.

lewes uk
reviews: 98
1. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Hi,

The walk from the car park area at kuang si to the falls is not far, perhaps 500 metres. There is a slight incline at the start of the path but then it's a level walk. You will pass the bears on your right. There are several swimming pool again on the right side of the path. The only climbing you'd have to do is if you wanted to go to the top of the falls to look down but that isn't necessary. The falls will not be in full flow in May though

Cheers

Queensland
2. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Hi Paul

Thanks for your prompt reply! I know our timing perhaps isnt the best with regards to the flow, but thats just how things are!! We have 43 days travelling around Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos April/May. Im sure I can cope with 500 metres, and even a slight incline. Dont have to climb to the top. Some of the photos I have seen are spectacular. Cant wait. Cheers, Thanks, Denise (lovechocolatecake)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 111
3. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Hi lovechocolate,

As said it is only a short distance to the falls on a pretty flat easy path. Some of the swimming ponds are even closer. But they could prove tricky to get in / out of. The bears are gorgeous, and the falls spectacular. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did,

- K

www.kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au

Queensland
4. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Thank you KGB. There could be some interesting sights as I try and get in and out of pools, if it is a little difficult!! Never mind....will probably not see other tourists again!

Thanks,

Leipzig, Germany
reviews: 107
5. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Rent a bike and head out there early. Best experience in my view to be there before the other tourists. Though, taking a bath can be a bit cold in the morning ;)

sydney
reviews: 76
6. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Rent a bike......???... #5.. the OP asked about walking long dstances and you're suggesting she rides there....

We passed a family riding to Kuang Si falls ... we had seen the falls (walked to the top on both sides), seen the bears, and finished lunch as they struggles into the parking area - red faced & sweaty ...

Leipzig, Germany
reviews: 107
7. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Well, correct me, but it was my understanding, that he/she didn't ask for a long ride, but rather if the distance from the last point of transportation is a long one. Which it isn't, but you can still do a good climb up to the falls (or difficult walk). The only thing i did, was to suggest not to take the tuk-tuks or minubusses, but to take your own transport.

Queensland
8. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Thank you everyone for your input. I certainly agree about getting there early, best time of the day and also avoiding all the other tourists. Will probably avoid cycling - havent ridden a bike for 40 years, but could I ask Leipzig #7, why avoid tuk-tuk or minibus? Private driver might be ok??

sydney
reviews: 76
9. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Razor... if the OP is concerned about walking distances, there is NO WAY her legs would hold up to that ride... c'mon what were you thinking?

Love chocky - we got a jumbo (large tuk tulk) and it was great - just us, not on a 'tour'. Check out the travel agents in the main street so you know what you 'should' be paying and negotiate your price with the jumbo driver... easy!

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
10. Re: Walking at Kuang Si Falls, Luang Prabang

Thmoore - My jumbo driver stopped while still in town, and asked for additional payment (for what I'm not entirely sure) - we refused, fearing a scam, and then proceeded to the falls. Any idea what that payment was all about? did it happen to you too?