We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a small motorcycle in LP to tour around the area

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 21
Renting a small motorcycle in LP to tour around the area

I am a 60 yr old female travelling solo in Laos for a couple of weeks in late December, early January. I want to rent a small motorcycle to tour around the area. Are there only scooters available or motorbikes as well - I prefer the handling of a motorbike. I am thinking 250 cc.

How much to rent - what is a reputable dealer to go to? What kind of insurance do I need? I am thinking to do a couple of day trips in LP and also in Vientiane, but have a contact in Vientiane already for that area.

I am also thinking of hiring a guide on his or her own motorcycle to go with me on a day trips in the LP area - how much would it cost to hire a guide and would I have to pay for his motorcycle as well? My contact in Vientiane said $75 for a guide plus $30 rental per day for the motorcycle.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
reviews: 225
11. Re: Renting a small motorcycle in LP to tour around the area

Try outside the school 500m down sisavangvong rd from joma towards the end of the peninsula. Not sure of cost as bikes in LP are more expensive than elsewhere in laos - maybe $15

newcastle england
12. Re: Renting a small motorcycle in LP to tour around the area

Hi

I have just Rented a Honda 250 bike for a 2 week trip in October.... Around Laos Pick up in LP & drop off in VT...booked by Jules bike rentals based in VT cost $37 per day including Insurance & Equipment dont know if this is the going rate for this time of year.

Vancouver
reviews: 21
13. Re: Renting a small motorcycle in LP to tour around the area

Hi there,

I am surprised to see this thread again after so long...

Just to let you know that last year, after I had booked all my flts and hotels and everything set for a November departure, I got very sick with Pneumonia in October and was quite ill for several months - had to cancel my trip. This year, I was well enough by June to start planning another trip for this year and will be departing in about 3 weeks. i won't be going to Laos, unfortunately, just Thailand and Cambodia this trip for 3 1/2 weeks. Hope to get to Laos possibly next year.

All the best and thanks to all who provided great info last year and answered all my questions! lol

14. Re: Renting a small motorcycle in LP to tour around the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 15, 2013