We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River Trip Luang Prabang to Thai Border

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poole,UK
River Trip Luang Prabang to Thai Border

My wife and I are considering the river trip from Luang Prabang to the Thai border at the end of Dec 05 instead of flying LP to Ciang Mai. Don't particularly fancy the fast boats.

1. Does slow boat take one or two nights?

2. Is accommodation easy to get enroute?

3. Has anyone experience of MekongCruises Company overnight trip?

Thanks

Sydney Australia
reviews: 164
1. Re: River Trip Luang Prabang to Thai Border

My husband and I did the trip you are planning in reverse last September. We took the slow boat - would not recommend the speed boat as it is extremely dangerous owing to submerged rocks and you see nothing if your helmet does not fit your head and probably won't!! There is a rather luxurious Luang Say slow boat with comfortable seating and lots of room to move around. It cost a bomb though. OK if you want to pay for comfort. They overnight at the Luang Say Lodge in Pakbeng then you are back on the next day. We took the cheapie. On the public slow boat we were 70 odd persons squashed onto a 80 foot boat. The seats were as hard as cement and the cushion was useless, so take your own. We overnighted in Pakbeng. When you get to Chiang Khong there are guesthouses to stay in. The whole trip was about $A50 incl. 2 nights accomm. and the boat trip. You forget about your numb bum after about a week!! The whole trip was awesome. LP is just magical.

Hanoi
2. Re: River Trip Luang Prabang to Thai Border

1. The slow boat take only 1 night and you will spend your night in Chieng Khoang a nice town.

2. The speed boat is OK, "adventure" experience. You will see no evil hear no evil :-)) and it'll take 7- 8 hours.

I think it'll be fine for you and your wife to go on with slow boat. You can easy get ticket from Luang. G'luck