We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

Which Luang Prabang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

Just a word of warning, when you arrive in Luang Prabang you will find many tours on offer. Many to go and see the elephants in their natural habitat. Unfortunately, not all tour companies are genuine, in terms of conservation. I personally recommend Tiger Trail Tours. It is genuinely set up in order to help the elephant. They have an elephant park which you get to visit, it is the elephants permanent home. Other tour companies only rent the poor elephant for the tourist period and then when they are done with them they are sent back to dangerous tree lopping activities. So ask the hard questions about where their elephants come from, do they live in a permanent conservation camp? etc etc. (for those of you who are interested in putting money towards saving the elephant).

On a happier, most exciting point after an elephant tour (could last a few days) I would then also highly recommend trying some of the fantastic value massages ($14 for one hour massage, 30 minute body mask, and sauna...aaahhhh).

Viv

All this excitement has left an impression on me and I fly back to L.P in two weeks, to try it all again and to chill out. Low tourist season I believe,so that would be good. Remember not walk about too much as USA landmines are still blowing up locals and unsuspecting tourists. So be careful where you wonder off to !

colorado
reviews: 1
1. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

Thank you for posting this.

Sydney
2. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

Your welcome anything to get the story straight when it comes to our wildlife.

Viv

PS Elephant expert told me we should all check out elephants cause some experts predict elephants will be around only for another 60 years - unless sustainable tourism is produced - reckons it's their only chance at this stage!

Vientiane
reviews: 57
3. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

This talk of UXOs in Luang Prabang is absolute rubbish. UXOs are found near and along the Ho Chi Minh trail in Sepon and near the Plain of Jars. Don't post nonsense that frightens people off from coming there.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
reviews: 76
4. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

Ditto about the UXO. You will find heaps of tourists in Luang Prabang, but no landmines. The only thing I saw at the side of the road my two trips to Laos were several incidents involving locals, who had wiped out ( and been left for dead) on motorcycle accidents.

London
reviews: 28
5. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

I would recommend Tiger Trail tours also - I did the two day Mahout trip with them and it takes four people to stay the night and learn (well sort of - you cant learn in that short space of time!) how to be a Mahout and look after the elephants - you learnt to ride them without the seats and take them to the river to wash them in the morning. these elephants have been rescued from the hard labour of logging and to my naked eye appear to be well looked after and absolutely fabulous creatures.

Luang Prabang, Laos
reviews: 5
6. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

HI I was in Luang Prabang as well and did a Tour with the wrong Elephant provider, means riding close to the road and in not the right setting which I thought I would end up in... Than I spent the extra (actually 40,- US$) for the Tiger Trail and Elephant Park Project tour in combination with a village hike...and was very surprised. I was covered with a buffet lunch, a very friendly and knowledgeable guide...plus knowing that we actually spent nearly 50% directly into the Elephant Project Luang Prabang...

Next time I would do the Mahout Program with tiger trail...but no time !

Will be back in Luang Prabang and explore more.

Also I spent some time in the Lao Spirit Resort and I left a review behind here somehwere...even though I can not find it anymore...

best from DF

australia
reviews: 3
7. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

I also did a tiger trails tour a couple of weeeks ago.It was very uninspiring riding on an elephant that really didn't want to go anywhere! The baby elephant at the park is chained by his front feet and teased with bananas. I actually saw a guy try to stick a cigarette up the elephants trunk to try to get it smoke. We also had to wait around for nearly an hour as they had overbooked the rides.

The location is nice and lunch was good and i hear the accommodation was nice. Maybe the longer stays are ok but the half day trip was not for me.

8. Re: Careful which elephant tour you book at L.P..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 07, 2009