We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

Which Mandalay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 5
NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

Hi All,

I hired Soe Soe because of two recommendations here, his rather unusual website, and the positive impression I got from corresponding with him. While he is indeed a nice guy, and knowledgable about present Mandalay, I deeply regret hiring him:

1) He is THE most silent guide I've met, and contributes next to nothing about history and culture even when prompted.

2) That might be connected to the fact that he's not a licensed guide, a fact he omits in pre-communication. He shared this with me only as we were driving from the airport, when he said that contrary to our itinerary he cannot take me with a boat to Mingin. (Unlike licensed guides he'll have to pay for himself.) This surprise repeated itself the next day when he told me only at the enterance - again contrary to our correspondence - that he cannont enter the palace with me. (Had he warned me in advance I could have brought my LP with me.) when I voiced my indignation, he had the effrontery to say he was disappointed!

3) He said he could arrange transport to the airport for $20; the hotel did so for $12. Usually one expects the guide to offer cheaper rates...

I do NOT recommend hiring him.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 245
1. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

Soe is a very common name in Myanmar and it is therefore you do not get confused with any Registered guides of a similar name.

Please give his contact details-tel no, email address and website of his father so there is no confusion.

Thanks for the heads up anyway and especially the warning that travellers should ensure their guides are registered-they should have a laminated official badge with photo/number.

SS

Mandalay, Myanmar
reviews: 3
2. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

Real Soe Soe is Licensed Tour Guide in Mandalay.

Some people from Mandalay is acting as Soe Soe. But they all are not Real one. Real Soe Soe is not only licensed tour guide but also teacher.

3. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, February 20, 2014
4. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, February 20, 2014
5. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

Removed on: 12:05 pm, February 20, 2014
Mandalay, Myanmar
6. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

https://www.facebook.com/kosoesoemdy

Mandalay, Myanmar
7. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

It is real Soe Soe in Mandalay,https://www.facebook.com/kosoesoemdy

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 245
8. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

Please try not to duplicate post.

Check the thread before posting again.

I think we get the message !!

SS

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 1
9. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

I have used the REAL SoeSoe mant times and he not to be confused with the unlicensed guy you talking about. The real SoeSoe is a great communicator, fully licensed and a very honorable gentleman. He is also a guide trainer and supporter of the Mandaly leprosy hospital. The real SoeSoe is on this forum as Soesoemdy. If you are confused, ask to see his guide licence on meeting him. The dodgy SoeSoe doesn't have one to my knowledge.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 4
10. Re: NOT recommending Mandalay guide Soe Soe (or Soe Paing)

I would have no hesitation in recommending Soesoe the licenced guide in Mandalay. He is a great guide who goes out of his way to ensure that tourists see all the sights and leave with a understanding of the culture and history of Myanmar. His english is excellent and he loves to talk!

He provides advice regularly to travelers on tripadvisor and I never see him putting his own interest before his desire help tourists have a great experience.

Edited: 11:53 am, March 05, 2014