We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

Which Mandalay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
reviews: 119
Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

Visiting Yangon, Bagan, Inle and Mandalay in December 2013. Can anyone recommend an UP TO DATE guide book which gives good listings on restaurant, bars, walks, sights etc etc.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
1. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

Nothing currently published is up to date.

There is far more accurate and current information here on TA,in Top Questions and in the top toolbar and on Thorntree, than in print.

SS

London, United...
reviews: 26
2. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

Hi,

we are going in December too and your itinerary is similar to ours. Would be great to know in what order you are planning to see those places as I currently struggle with domestic flights…

Wellington
reviews: 39
3. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

I'm planning a trip too, and looking on Amazon yesterday saw an Insight guide with a Jan 2013 publication date - however things change so fast that it still may be out of date. Lonely Planet is heavily discounting its Myanmar guide online (which is quite old) , and I bought this more for the history and general info on sights rather than info on transport, accommodation etc which changes. Useful, but not worth paying full price for, or buying in hard copy.

4. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:34 pm, August 04, 2013
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
5. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

Have a read through Top questions on itineraries and talk to a local Agent who can book hotels and flights for you

Brooktondale
reviews: 7
6. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

It's always best to get the most up to date guide you can as long it's one that's geared to your style of travel. Some are certainly better than others. The reality is that by the time a new guide hits the press it's information is already a year or more out of date. They're useful for history, maps, background information, descriptions of attractions and general info on transportation and where to stay and eat. That's why, as SS says, forums like TA and Thorntree are so valuable. Even still personal opinions, biases and travel experience (or lack of) by posters can skew the readers understanfding of what is really happening. It's good to prepare and have a sense of what to expect..I find it to be part of the joy of travel, but we never know what's really happening somewhere until we arrive. That's when the real fun begins.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

Hello. Seems to be a popular choice.. Myanmar. Im hoping to arrive in mandalay around the 22nd-23rd December. Hoping to visit mandalay-bagan- yangoon.

bristol uk
8. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

Hi im going there from Oct 6th-Oct 27th.I to will be doing roughly that route,Yangon,Bagan,Mandalay,Inle Lake back to Yangon,or maybe Bago,then onto Golden Rock then Yangon.Ive been searching for info on domestic flights,as i would like to fly to Bagan,then the rest overland.But yes its been impossible to get a flight booked out over the internet.Been told to wait and try about 1-2 weeks before leaving,if not then go to a travel agent when i arrive and sort it from there.Im sorting my visa out in the next 2 weeks from London,you have 3 months to start it from date of issue.So if you want any info,let me know and i pass it on.

9. Re: Best/most recent guide book on Myanmar (in english)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 17, 2014