We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maymyo

Which Mandalay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 3
Maymyo

If there anyone out there who is knowledgable about the area. I am piecing together my family's life before the war. Does anyone remember St Michaels and All Angels school?My Grandfather was a Freemason. I know there was a lodge in Maymyo, Does it still exist, for another purpose now?

I have a list of Maymyo houses 1929-1945 though Mum's 2 houses are not included. Does anyone remember Tonycot & Sevenoaks. Also, are there many cemeteries in Mandalay?

Any help would be appreciated

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 234
1. Re: Maymyo

The Britain-Burma Society has a "find my relatives" section which could be of use and also lots of other info on Burma before WWII

http://shwepla.net/

Asia
reviews: 30
2. Re: Maymyo

there are too excellent websites about Pyin Oo Lwin, so u may consult those for your further "investigations".

www.pyinoolwin.info

and

www.flowercity-pyinoolwin.com

Me myself will be at Pyinoolwin within the next few days.

Australia
reviews: 10
3. Re: Maymyo

If I fly to mandalay airport, how long will it take to get Pyin Oo Lwin? Do i go by taxi and how much will it cost?

Yangon
4. Re: Maymyo

u can go Day Trip to Pyin Oo Lwin ,

will cost u ,car rental $75 ( estimate ),saloon

regards

australia
reviews: 28
5. Re: Maymyo

I took a taxi direct from the airport to Maymo in July last year and it took around 45minutes. Great drive with very good roads. It cost around US$25-30. I negoitiated directly with the taxi drivers at the airport. It takes a bit of time and friendly back and forthing before someone agreed to that price. It also involved all the taxi drivers in the car park aheading there two bobs worth.

Melbourne
reviews: 46
6. Re: Maymyo

I know its long after your post, but my dad's family lived in Maymyo in the late 1930's. My dad's dad was a train driver. I took my kids back there three years ago to look for his house near the station. Unfortunately we could not find anyone who could tell us where the train drivers lived in pre-war Maymyo.

We also visited the Methodist church in town, but that too had been transformed

Please PM me if you have any information that may connect ourr families...

7. Re: Maymyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, March 29, 2013