We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

Which Sousse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesbrough...
reviews: 2
sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

hi, me and my gf are going to sousse, tunisia in september and was just wondering if we will be ok as shes got long blond hair and ive got short dark hair can clearly tell im gay lol also got her name tattooed on my arm was just wondering if we will be made welcome or get lots of hassle?? : /

41 replies to this topic
Hammamet, Tunisia
Destination Expert
for Tunisia
reviews: 3
1. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

you won't get hassled because your gay, just don't show your affection for each other in public, even holding hands in public is not acceptable, apart from that, you be ok

Middlesbrough...
2. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

thank u 4 reply, feel alot better now :) do u no how hot it will be or cold ive looked it up and all say different temperatures

england
reviews: 20
3. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

Not only is it not acceptable it's still illegal in Tunisia.

So any signs of affection , even in the hotel, could have consequences. So be careful.

Sad to say, but you never know who may be watching..

Edited: 2:25 am, January 15, 2013
Middlesbrough...
4. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

thanks 4 reply .... we went 2 turkey last year and it was the same ther really :/ but we just told people in the end coz my partner was gettin alot of attention by the turkish men even in our hotel, i hated it , i was just worried if it will b the same here and about getting questioned and everything like that, as its very obvious im gay , hopefully it will be a nice quiet relaxing holiday thats what we r hoping for anyway .

Edited: 2:40 am, January 15, 2013
Gosport, United...
reviews: 27
5. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

If you think your partner is likely to attract unwanted male attention while out and about, then there are a few simple precautions...

- Dress sensibly, cover shoulders, and don't wear short skirts or anything tight.

- Wear a hat or tie long hair up.

- Wear sunglasses to avoid direct eye contact.

- Wear a ring on her wedding finger, any old ring'll do.

- Don't flirt, or engage in conversation with men. It can be seen as a "...come on".

- If you intend haggling in the markets, then learn the dos and donts beforehand.

Belfast, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

Im sorry to say this but if your found Turkey a hassle then Tunisia will be so much worse. And it has nothing to do with being gay, the blokes will always give way to much attention to woman, esp blondes, including those with boyfriends! Its sad but iv seen it first hand myself.

Again my advice would be to not show much affection in public. Its ok to admit your together to those in and around your hotel just think twice about showing it. But its also frowned upon to show public signs of affection between male and female, its seen as disrespectful to society though not completely adhered too.

Hope this helps a little.

Middlesbrough...
7. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

thank u for replies helped alot :)

Northampton, United...
reviews: 8
8. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

in sousse for many locals it would not matter if you gay or not they will try it on with you both she will get hasseled blond hair locals tend to be gay for pay or offer a 3some try reading tunisianloverats

it give good idea of how it can be over there also depends on which hotel !!

Middlesbrough...
9. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

ok thank u

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hammamet
reviews: 28
10. Re: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??

Not only the local casanovas in the outside, but also watch for those within your hotel. Especially waiters, barmen and some members of animation team. They do not suppose to pester the guests, but some managment ignore this policy and turn the bllind eye particularly when it comes to female toursits with no male companions.

Cheers

Cas

Reply to: sousse, tunisia gay friendly??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sousse