We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
worldwide
reviews: 6
hire taxi for day in Alexandria

I'll be arrive by cruiseship and want to hire a taxi to a few places: library, citadel, seafood restaurant for lunch and maybe one more site.

Will I able to cover all of these in one day and how much would a taxi be for the day.

Also we have four people, can one taxi fit four?

Thanks,

JJ

Abu Dhabi, United...
reviews: 212
1. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Easily you can do those sights in half a day. You should consider at least one if not two other places of interest if you have a full day in Alexandria. The sites you mentioned are near each other. One passenger can sit in the front and most taxis will not fit 3 adults comfortably in the back. Each small trip you mentioned will only cost you about 10 EGP in a small yellow and black Nasr taxi (if you are generous). I think it unlikely but you should only consider keeping a taxi all day if at the cruise port you find a large air conditioned taxi which will agree a reasonable fixed price.

ILME

Edited: 7:28 am, August 11, 2012
Abu Dhabi, United...
2. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Please see this trip list for the places you could see all in one day.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20466-One_Day_…

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
reviews: 152
3. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Don't know when you are going but it might be hot and you might think it worthwhile to pay for a comfortable AC taxi you only have to haggle for once! If you are coming off a cruise I'm sure your tour guide can arrange one. He will take a cut but OTOH you won't have to rely on your own bargaining skills.

United States
reviews: 5
4. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

We arrive in Alexandria in November, also via a cruise ship. We have all day until at least 5 pm.

I have an itinerary of places to see/visit. One is the Eliyahu Hanavi synagogue. Can an Egypt expert tell me if non Egyptian visitors are allowed to enter the synagogue. I had read it might be undergoing repairs by the Egyptian government, but the overthrow of Mubarack interrupted that. Please advise if it possible to visit.

In addition, I considered hiring an air conditioned taxi for the day for 2. For a seven hour day, what is a fair price to offer? We do have good bargaining skills.

If we become 5 in our party, is it probable to find a larger air conditioned vehicle at the port. If yes, what is a fair price to offer?

Here is my itinerary for the day. Not sure of all the geographic locations. I believe the Catacombs are 30 minutes from the port and should be visited first:

Catacombs of Kom El Shoqafa (early a.m. before bus crowds)

Pompey's Pillar

Kom al Dikka

Lunch (mezzes and some fish) What place do you recommend that is reasonably priced and has a view of the harbor?

Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue (a priority)

The National Museum - if the Greco Roman museum is still closed.

Biblioteca Alexandrina, for the English tour and time to visit some of the galleries and the gift shop, of course.

Doable in how many hours? 7, 8 ?

Thanks for your help.

Gail

Abu Dhabi, United...
5. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Yes these are all do-able in 6 or 7 hours.

Sorry I am not familiar with the synagogue but it should be easy to pass by given its location. I do know of other sites that continued to have work done after the overthrow of Mubarak so it's best not to assume restoration work has stopped.

The Graeco Romano Museum is still closed. Check these links for further information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295398-i9725-k567…

Information on taxis is here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g295398-s304/Alexandr…

United States
6. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Thanks for the reply. About the taxi, I have read that a regular black and white taxi won't hold 4 comfortably. If that is accurate, do you think drivers with larger vehicles will be outside the port or do I need to look for a private guide?

Also, if we need to bargain for a driver for a 7 hr day, what do you think is a fair price to offer him?

Thanks again,

G

Abu Dhabi, United...
7. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

The local/old taxis are very cheap. 100 LE for all day would be generous for the day considering you will not travel far; but yes would be a tight squeeze for 3 in the back of most of the taxis in Alex (Nasr/Lada type taxis, at least 30 years old, no seat belts and rattling, often not roadworthy and with smoking drivers). They are yellow and black, not black and white. These are still my no. 1 choice for getting round Alex as they are cheap and plentiful. For your itinerary road speeds are not high and journey distances are short so that might be worth grinning and bearing the discomfort.

Sorry I have never been to the cruise port so don't know if there will be larger vehicles outside. You could make a call the day before using the phone numbers on the taxi page. Maybe some other cruise passengers can tell you their experiences if you send them a private message. Also try the Cruise Critic website if you need more contacts.

United States
8. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Is it possible these 30 year old taxis might be air conditioned, assuming it even works.

Also, will most drivers speak English.

Again, Thank you.

Abu Dhabi, United...
9. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Unlikely on both counts, unfortunately.

United States
10. Re: hire taxi for day in Alexandria

Hi Again,

I am thinking of hiring a car with driver from Egypt Day Tours or egyptdaytours.com. I found them via Google. They do airport pick ups. Also day and overnight tours. They offer air conditioned vehicles in all sizes and an Egyptologist driver/guide. Their price without entrance fees and lunch for an 8 hour day seems reasonable per person. They are flexible and will use the itinerary I have devised.. And they will get advance approval for us to visit the very old Eliyahu Hanavi synagogue.

Has anyone ever used this company and if yes, were they prompt and reputable?