We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

Which Lviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

I will be visiting Western Ukraine in early March. It's essential that I have mobile internet access on the go.

I'll be touching down in Poland initially for a couple of days each side of my trip before making my way overland to Ukraine.

What mobile sim card should I ask for? I will be making ZERO calls (unless there is some major emergency back home) but I do use a lot of data on these trips. Just need access for 1 week.

It may be asking too much but I don't suppose there's a sim card that will suit my purposes and function both in Poland AND Ukraine??

8 replies to this topic
Ireland
1. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

Can anyone help with this?

Washington DC...
reviews: 2
2. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

Well, i don't know of any bordering countries where you can share a sim card as the payment must be paid in different currencies, and i don't see why a poland company would provide coverage in Ukraine and vice versa, especially not to a subscriber. If you are going to be in Lviv, I would check out some Life:) or Kyivstar mobile providers.

http://www.kyivstar.ua/en/kr/mm/

http://www.life.ua/en/

Lviv, Ukraine
3. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

Hi baguio_gold100!

In Poland is better to use a local operator. and in Ukraine the same. You can use the Polish operator in Ukraine but the "roaming" would be very expensive. In Ukraine I recommend Kyivstar operator. It costs 10 UAH per simcard. Internet service connected for free. For one day you'll pay only 1 UAH. (Only in the day, when you use the Internet)

kyivstar.ua/en/…

Ireland
4. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

Thanks to you both. Are Kyivstar stater sim packs available in shops/petrol stations or just in specific kyivstar shops?

Lviv, Ukraine
5. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

Hi baguio_gold100 !

<<<or just in specific kyivstar shops?>>>

This store will help you to install a mini or micro sim card it depends of tipe your mobile phone. And they activate you the internet.

Ireland
6. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

@RomanH: Thanks for your posts. I arrive in Lviv on Sunday morning at 7.30am and I'm staying at a Hotel in Rynok Square. Will these shops be open on a Sunday? If not, can I just purchase a kyivstar sim pack from a kiosk, newsagent or shop??

Lviv, Ukraine
7. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

hi!

No kiosks, there is no counselor. They can only sell you kyivstar sim.

Беринди 1 (Beryndy 1 ) Is open on Sunday from 9.00 am to 6.00 pm. This is an official service center of kyivstar. https://www.google.com.ua/maps/place/%D0%B2%D1%83%D0%BB.+%D0%91%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%B8/@49.8409575,24.0294999,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x473add6de80117c1:0xf8573e1b0296fdff

Edited: 2:00 am, March 01, 2014
Ireland
8. Re: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?

@romanh : Thanks for your advise. Arrived early in the morning hours in Lviv - bought a sim card off a street vendor for 10 uah (but couldnt get it working on internet...mtc). Went to Kyivstar office at 10am and they squared me away :-)

Reply to: 3G Pay as you go SIM card for mobile internet in ua?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted