We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

Which Lviv hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LA, Calif
reviews: 278
Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

I read a previous posting but am still unsure as to the timing to expect in crossing the border. We will be in Lviv as part of a major Ukranian adventure. I want to visit my grandfather's village near the border in Poland. I found a Michelin guide that states taking Road 17 in to Poland (my destination is north along the Bug River to Dubienka), the entire trip would take 3 hours.

After reading the post I am concerned. I am planning to hire a private Ukrainian driver to take me across the border for a day's trip: 3 hours each way and 3 hours touring. Now I am concerned that this will not be an easy day's adventure and perhaps should not consider this detour.

Any suggestions?

LA, Calif
11. Re: Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

Hi Cora,

I had difficulty finding Lutsk and Volodymyr-Volynskij on the map. Yes, it does seem closer but I am not sure how to arrange the travel. How do I get to either city from Kyiv? Is there a train? Once I return from Poland, how do I get to Lviv? This becomes an issue of what is the most convenient overall and go back to whether I am better off going to Poland from Lviv. Thanks

12. Re: Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:00 pm, January 08, 2012
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 296
13. Re: Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

I’m positively sure ViaMichelin has them both. Here, the rout from Kyiv to Dubienka via Lutsk and Volodymyr-Volynskij: http://tinyurl.com/7n2pfuu

Lutsk is an oblast centre (of Volynska oblast, like Lviv is of L’vivska oblast) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutsk It has a good connection with Kyiv - trains, buses, and a highway. Also quite a decent infrastructure - hotels, restaurants, pubs etc. And it is an important touristy destination known at the very least for its Lyubart Castle http://www.castles.com.ua/luck.html

You can get to Lutsk from Kyiv by train - say, overnight daily sleeper #363 Kyiv-Kovel’ arrives to Lutsk at 6.22am. There are also several buses to Lutsk from Kyiv; it takes about 6hrs by bus, and the road will hopefully be still good after Euro.

That said, we only talked about Kovel’ in the context of getting to Chelm, but there are also few other trains you can take in Kyiv to get to Kovel. The above mentioned #363 arrives at more convenient 8.42am.

But remember that all time-tables can change.

Volodymyr-Volynskij is much smaller, but historically very important en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volodymyr-Volynskyi But I only know one more or less decent hotel there. And you can get there, say by #359 Kyiv-Lviv, but it arrives at 3.17am, very inconvenient. You will be exhausted.

Again, if I were to choose how to do your trip, I would have opted either for Lviv, or for Lutsk. In the latter case, make a side trip, return to explore the city and move on to L’viv. By the way, check out my review of a hotel in Lutsk tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1602458-d18…

Also, you could negotiate with a driver from Lviv to pick you up in Lutsk (or Kovel) at the railway station, go to Dubienka, and move on to Lviv from there. Sounds a bit hectic as you won’t have any rest at all, so this is just a suggestion to consider.

Also, why don’t you talk to your husband about all the options you have so far? You can decide together what is easier for you.

LA, Calif
14. Re: Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

Once again, I am in awe of your information.

Yes, of course I will discuss with my husband. We have a travel pattern..I do all the research and bring him the options. He has no problem seeing the big picture in making a decision which I usually totally agree with. We are great travel companions.

Thanks again! I am sure I will be in touch for further advice.

Happy New Year.

Lviv, Ukraine
15. Re: Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

I'm sorry but my laptop was left at home while I worked. I could not see past your reflection. I think Cora _v offers a good route. Zhovkva truly worthy of a point to visit. It has a castle, several churches, a synagogue and the Roman Catholic church. The trip by car is the independence of trains and buses.

You do not need to make leaps in different trains and then back again. In the car, your husband will be the navigator (the owner) but the train - passengers. If the question is which way to go, it's better to make the roads of Poland. I am more confident that the football championship, these small roads in Ukraine will not be repaired.

16. Re: Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, February 27, 2012
17. Re: Border crossing from Lviv to Poland

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 28, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Lviv