We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plitvice lakes

Which Zadar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
reviews: 14
plitvice lakes

we are 3 adults and 2 children wanting to go plitvice lakes in late ocober but the cost with a tour online is over £300 English hard earned quid! Is there another cheaper option, the bus, it appears is not reliable for getting us back to Zadar in the evening. I didn't want to hire a car but I might have to if this is the very cheapest way. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I was even thinking of cancelling our apartment and going for a £100 cheaper option.

Thank you

Lisa

13 replies to this topic
Durham
reviews: 8
1. Re: plitvice lakes

I would think about hiring a car. It should not cost much in October. It's costing me £41 for three days. There are plenty of other places you could visit by car - Krka, Sibenik, Nin, Paklenica etc.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
2. Re: plitvice lakes

I would also suggest hiring a car and the drive will not be difficult.

Croatia
reviews: 6
3. Re: plitvice lakes

Yep, take the car... it will be faster and cheaper. There are plenty of "big" car rental companies in Croatia you can choose from- budget, herz, oryx,....

liverpool
4. Re: plitvice lakes

Thank you, it is the thought of parking the car overnight that is putting me off, but ill just hire it for the day if possible in Zadar and return it in the evening.

Lisa

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 30
5. Re: plitvice lakes

However, I can't remember it vividly, but as far as I can, the price of 300 quid is just too much. The price of excursions to Plitvice should be much much smaller. The car drive takes only some 1.5 hours (half on the highway, and half on the local 2-way road, highway exit Gornja Ploča).

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 1
6. Re: plitvice lakes

Hi Lisa,

We visited Plitvice NP last Thursday (19.09.). We took a bus from Zadar Bus Station at 8.30am. Bus back to Zadar left Plitvice NP at 5pm. The return adult ticket was 165 kuna (22 euro). We bought the bus tickets one day in advance. Admission to the park was 110 kuna (15 euro) for adult. See en.np-plitvicka-jezera.hr/index.php… for further info on park entrance.

Whatever you do, do not take the organised tour. They were quite pricey (I saw it advertised in Zadar for 75 euro) and people had to stick with their groups.

Have a fantastic trip :)

UK
reviews: 5
7. Re: plitvice lakes

We took the trip to Pl;itvice last week, we booked at an agent by the Marina in Borik and it was 540 Kuna each, we had been quoted 550 a couple of days earlier by a different agent, A minibus picked us up from our apartment and took us to the park with a stop on the way for breakfast, omelette and tea was included in the trip price, anything else, coffee etc was charged extra.

Our guide round the park was very good but I did feel we were rushed around a bit, I would have liked to have stopped a bit more often to just admire the scenery, after the tour it was back onto the minibus with a stop at the same restaurent on the way home for a chicken and chip dinner, again included in the price but drinks extra.

The minibus then dropped us off at our apartment but we were told we could be dropped elsewhere if we preferred.

We were picked up at 08.30 and got back about 6, so I guess that explains why we were a bit rushed around the park.

Given the chance to do it again I think I'd look into hiring a car to allow us more time in the park, possibly even booking a nights accommodation near Plitvice.

Admission to the park was 110 Kuna and we went on a toll road that I think was about 80 Kuna for a car.

Overall I think the price was reasonable given the service and food, there are plenty of agents selling Plitvice trips in Zadar and October will be late in the season for them so you may get a better deal than we did, chat to a few of them and see what's included and how long you get in the park, or hire a car and make your own way, the roads are very quite compared to Britain and the park is well signposted.

Have a nice trip.

liverpool
8. Re: plitvice lakes

Thanks so much for the info, very useful

Lisa

Manhattan, Kansas
reviews: 1
9. Re: plitvice lakes

Thanks for this great information. I've been trying to figure out how to get to Plitvice from Zadar without using a tour guide (I want to hike the trails at my own pace and explore my own areas). Unfortunately, the bus schedules I'm seeing only show trips to Plitvice in the afternoon. Did you go to the main bus station to purchase your tickets? I am hoping to go to the park on either Sunday, June 15 or Monday June 16. The bus schedules online are impossible for me to understand, even in English. Glad you can share this information with me! Thanks!

UK
reviews: 5
10. Re: plitvice lakes

We went with a tour guide, I would think doing it as a day trip by public transport may be difficult, if you can I'd rent a car for the day then your free to spend as much time at Plitvice as you want.

Reply to: plitvice lakes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zadar