We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!

Which Zadar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, UK
reviews: 23
Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!

At the end of August we will be driving through Europe to Zadar, then on to Split, where we would like to hop a couple of Islands (with the car), see Dubrov, and at least get a peek at something beautiful in Plitvice (not necessarily in that order). But it's all so confusing trying to see what ferries go and when. I am also really struggling to get anyone to insure my car to travel through Slovenia or the bit of Bosnia I may need to drive through near Dubrovnik, but how do I get from the islands to Dubrovnik? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

5 replies to this topic
Oxford, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!

I've been and come back now so thought I'd post this if it helps anyone..

The ferries are very frequent and you don't book anyway so best to just turn up and get on one! Very easy, there was no need for all my worrying and researching at all! It was possible to reach Dubrov without going into the Bosnia area and when I asked my car insurer a second time, they double checked and then ok'd Slovenia (I think they weren't very educated about what was and wasn't in Europe tbh). But anyway.. Island hopping is easy so just go for it!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 288
2. Re: Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!

give us a more detailed trip report..want to know where you ended up staying.

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
3. Re: Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!

did you take the inter-coastal ferry to avoid Bosnia?

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 22
4. Re: Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!

Yes how did you get to Dubrovnik without going through Bosnia...tell us where you ended up going...always good to read trip reports!

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 26
5. Re: Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!

first of all, to check ferries look at www.jadrolinija.hr.

then, if coming from Europe, the first logical stop would be Plitvice, reached through Zagreb or Rijeka, then take the highway to Karlovac, and then the local 2-way road for some 80km (50-ish miles) to Plitvice. From there, onwards to Korenica and Udbina where there are signs to get to the highway again towards Zadar.

As for the islands, it depends on how much time you have. The shortest route would be to take a ferry from Split to Korcula island, and then a short ferry from Korcula town to Orebic on Peljesac peninsula, and onwards by road to Dubrovnik. Or you can drive from Split to Ploce, and take a ferry to Trpanj on Peljesac peninsula, then to Orebic by car, and small ferry to Korcula town.

You can also take a ferry from Split to Hvar island, and get off the island via ferry Drvenik-Sucuraj (in the east)

For other islands (e.g. Vis), you'd have to get back to Split and drive on.

Reply to: Driving to Croatia and very confused about Island Hopping!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zadar