We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rijeka

Which Zadar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Western Australia
reviews: 6
Rijeka

We go on an Adriatic Cruise in MAy and then only have a couple of days in Zadar and then a couple in Rijeka before travelling to Trieste . A couple of questions please

The best things to see/do in and around Zadar? We can spend the day we arrive doing the town and then head off for the day the next day.

We then travel Zadar to Rijeka.

Is it better to stay in Rijeka or Opatije?

What things are a must see or do considering we don't have much time? We thought maybe the day we arrive we can do the town sites as such, and the next day go to an island or something else.

What about going along the Istrian coast and stopping somewhere for lunch etc? Any ideas? Thanks

Phoenix, Arizona
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
1. Re: Rijeka

Hi Rosie006,

We've moved this topic to the Zadar forum, because it should be more likely to receive some replies here. We hope you find the information you're looking for.

Best regards,

TA_MikeW

Western Australia
2. Re: Rijeka

thanks

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
reviews: 2
3. Re: Rijeka

Hello Rosie,

Below is what another poster had posted about Zadar. I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing it with you. It describes Zadar so well. One thing it doesn’t mention is the historic town of Nin. It is a small town just outside Zadar so full of history.

There are so many places you can visit for a day trip, like the post below states there a 5 National Parks you can choose from. You should research all of them and see which one you might prefer. If it was me I would choose Plitvice.

Regarding Rijeka or Opatija, I would stay in Opatija. Rijeka is a very industrial city and I would only drive through it. I have stayed in Opatija twice and both have only been overnighters on the way to Rovinj. In Opatija I love the lungomare walk, it has some lovely views. I can’t say too much more about Opatija because I am not really fond of it but I know people who love it. I think the reason I don’t like Opatija is because it doesn’t have a Croatian feel to it for me. I feel like I am in Vienna or Budapest by the sea. You might be one of the people that love it.

This is the other post. Thanks to Johnny.

ZADAR

>>>Zadar is in the middle of Adriatic coast so everything is very close, (5 National parks: Kornati, Paklenica, Velebit, Krka and Plitvice, Zadar archipelago is the most beautiful in Croatia and you can visit nearby islands.

From Zadar you can rent a car to go to Plitvice or book excursion(one day) price is I think 70€ or you take a bus to plitvice from Zadar(cheapest).Also when you are in Zadar you can go to visit nearby small towns like Sibenik one day excursion is more than enough.

And now I’ll promote Zadar:

Zadar is an ancient town, three thousand years old and with its exceptional history and rich cultural in heritage is in the permanent focus of interest of the domestic and foreign historians, writers, scientists and tourists.

The downtown of Zadar is centered around the Roman Forum, within city walls with numerous gates and towers. Roman elements took part in the formation of Zadar being, up to the present days.

The town of Zadar has a very long tourist tradition and offers a lot in order to meet the interests of the guests: tourist villages, hotels, apartments and villas, cultural events, nautical tourism with marinas, wonderful beaches, promenades, excursions to islands and interesting surroundings, restaurants offering Dalmatian specialities and international food and numerous konobas – the best places to experience typical Dalmatian cuisine, with an authentic Dalmatian atmosphere, and much more.

What to see:

•The Roman Forum – Forum from the 1st century;

•St.Donat's Church –symbol of Zadar. It was founded in the 9th century and now days is used as the concert- known as The Musical Evenings in St.Donatus – "Glazbene večeri u sv.Donatu"

•St.Chrysogonus' Church – Crkva sv. Krševana, romanesque church built in the 12th century-

•St.Mary's Church-Crkva sv.Marije, founded in 1066

•St.Anastasia's Cathedral – Katedrala sv.Stošije, built in the 16th century-

•Five Wells Square –Three Wells Square-Trg tri bunara-

•The City Walls- Gradski bedemi-Gradska vrata, with Harbour Gate and Land Gate – Lučka i Kopnena Vrata, built during the 16th century;

•The Silver and Gold of the City of Zadar- "Zlato i Srebro Zadra". It is presented in the Benedictine convent of St.Mary's. It is the Permanent Exibition of Religious Art

•St.Simeon's Church-Crkva sv.Šime, the Silver-Gild Coffin from the 14th century

The town of Zadar is the oldest university town of Croats - the University founded in 1396. On the Forum square is the modern building of the Archeological Museum (1830).There are also Gallery of Arts, Historical Archives –National Museum and Palaces.

*Sea organ and Greeting to the Sun*- Concurrently with the “most beautiful sunset in the world-Alfred Hitchcock”, the lighting fixtures built into the circle are activated, producing an exceptionally impressive game of light to the rhythm of the waves and the sound of the Sea Organ according to a preprogrammed scenario.

Zadar is characterized through a mild Mediterranean climate, which influences the Mediterranean vegetation, with the average July temperature of 28 C°.

Zadar attracts everyone with its artistic and natural beauty and with generous welcoming of its population.

It is truth that I promote Zadar but Zadar is on excellent geographical position(conected with islands, national parks, close to other coast cities like Sibenik(80 km) and Split(150km) and it has world famous attractions SEA ORGAN and GREETING TO THE SUN , ANTIQUE GLASS MUSEUM, parks of nature, mountains (Velebit, Paklenica).<<<

I did take a couple of paragraphs out. I love Zadar and I hope you will too.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
4. Re: Rijeka

I just noticed you are from W.A. too. I hope you are coping with this heat.

Western Australia
5. Re: Rijeka

Thanks for all of that info. Wonderful! NO, we have had enough of this really hot weather. Time for a cool relief I think!

You seem pretty clued up with Croatia so I'll run our thoughts passed you if you wouldn't mind.

We finish our cruise in Split on Sat morning 1 June after breakfast and figured we would bus to Zadar.

Spend the rest of the day exploring the town and then spend the next day either going to an island or to one of the parks (if it's worthwhile for a day).

We had then thought to bus to Rijeka or Opatije to do the same thought of thing - the arrival day exploring the town and the next off and about.

We then will bus to Trieste and on to Venice.

That was the plan. But, do you think we should go from Split to somewhere else? r maybe do Zadar but go to somewhere else? We welcome any ideas to see the most beautiful and interesting parts of Croatia.

Thanks

Atlanta
reviews: 15
6. Re: Rijeka

If you have time, try to visit Nin near Zadar. Serene medieval city with the smallest cathedral in the World and much more.

Western Australia
7. Re: Rijeka

Thanks - Nin sounds interesting.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
8. Re: Rijeka

I would definitely go to Zadar after Split. Explore Zadar on the day you arrive. The next day take a day trip to Plitvice or Kornati. Plitvice are lakes and Kornati are islands. They are both day trips from Zadar and worthwhile. It is up to you to choose which you would prefer. I like them both.

Maybe someone who is more familiar with Opatija and that region can help you more than I can. Like I said I only stayed there overnight on the way to Rovinj. One thought I do have is if you can take a day trip to Pula to see the Arena and the old town. I enjoyed the Arena. Like I said previously don't stay in Rijeka it is an industrial city.

Have you considered staying in Rovinj instead of Opatija?

Western Australia
9. Re: Rijeka

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Yes, Zadar is definitely on the cards. Not sure which we'll do though - the lakes or the islands. I guess it may depend on the weather on the day and also whether we have seen enough islands after 8 days cruising. From the sounds of it, I expect not so a tough decision!

Have pretty much decided on Opatija rather than Rijeka after your comments - now I'll have to look into Rovinj! We could do Pula and the Istrian coast in a day from there couldn't we?

Cooler today in Perth - thank goodness!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
10. Re: Rijeka

Yes, cooler today...at long last. I am enjoying it!

After 8 days cruising I would probably choose Plitvice. It is a really stunning place. In May the waterfalls will be a sight to see.

I am glad you chose Opatija instead of Rijeka. I don't think you would have enjoyed Rijeka. I personally prefer Rovinj over Opatija.

Maybe start a new thread asking about the Istrian coast and the Istrian experts can help you a lot better than I can.

Enjoy your planning. We are off to Phuket on Saturday. Can't wait!

Get answers to your questions about Zadar