We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

Which Zadar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
essex
reviews: 35
nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

when we were in Zadar old town last week we noticed a lovely smell/fragrance that permeated the air during the whole of our visit, spreading over the whole area of the town, not just specific to one part.

I thought it smelt like incense but my husband insists that it is the blossom of a particular tree, can anyone help with this conundrum?

Atlanta
reviews: 7
1. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

Ha, haaaaaaaaa LINDEN! My favorite. I cannot find that smell in entire USA ! I missed it so much.

Parma, Italy
Destination Expert
for Parma, Cremona, Zadar
reviews: 47
2. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

This is so nice question. Tvrtko is right. Linden trees are one of the most beautiful things that I miss from Zadar....with its unforgettable fragrance....

Edited: 8:11 am, June 14, 2011
Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
reviews: 5
3. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

The month of June has its Croatian name - lipanj , originating from the name of the tree -LIPA.

Linden is a German word, maybe somebody knows the English name ??

essex
reviews: 35
4. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

Apparently we call the Linden tree a 'Lime tree' in the UK, but I have never come across the same scent I encountered in Zadar anywhere in the UK, perhaps it needs consistent levels of heat at a certain time of year to release the heady fragrance.

Also, the blossom of the tree is said to have medicinal properties, when infused as tea it can be taken as a remedy for indigestion/ to aid sleep, or used as a tonic for the skin.

Atlanta
reviews: 7
5. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Linden

Tilia tomentosa (Silver Lime in the UK and Silver Linden in the US)

Zadar,Trogir,Split,D...
6. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

Yep ...we all smell nice ;)

I should start selling trees lol

Hastings, United...
reviews: 6
7. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

According to Culpepper's Herbel it was called the Line or Lindon Tree.

Tilas mas, the male line is said not to be as large as the female.

Tilia foemina major is the greater female line, and Tila foemina mina the smaller kind. The female was used to wash the mouths of children and for something called 'the falling sickness!'

It seems the greater female was planted a lot in 'Ye Olden Times.'

I have also heard of it to as the lime tree, although I wouldn't put it in a G&T!

This book was written several hundred years ago mind you!

8. Re: nice smell/fragrance in Zadar old town - what is it??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Zadar