We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?

Which Pula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surbiton
reviews: 16
Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?

We're thinking of Croatia for a holiday this year, but the options on where to stay seem to have become very limited. So we're looking at the Park Hotel Histria in the Thomson brochure for mid-May. I'd appreciate some advice:

1. has anyone been to this area in mid-may? If so, what is the weather like? And is it very crowded?

2. is it far from the hotel to the bus stop, and does the bus get crowded?

3. Any problems getting a sunbed?

4. Does the AI included bottled water? (It's the convenience of picking them up as you go out, rather than the cost).

5. Do they supply pool towels?

6. Can you get coach excursions from the hotel? If so, would it usually be first or last pickup? (The Thomson excursion website says it does excursions from three resorts : Porec, Rovinj and Medulin, no mention of Pula).

Thanks for any replies.

Incidentally, I've only just realised that the Park Plaza Medulin, which is in the Thomson brochure, and shown as 'Pula', is a different hotel and resort to the Park Plaza Verudela, which is next to the Histria, but not in the brochure!

5 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
reviews: 1
1. Re: Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?

It is not clear to me from your post whether you wish to stay in the Park Plaza Histria in Medulin or the Park hotel in Verudela Pula. I know Medulin well but have had no dealings with the Park Plaza Histria.

I do know the Hotel Park which is next to the hotel Histria at Verudela, which I assume is much cheaper than the Park Plaza in Medulin. I have stayed at both the Hotel Park and the Hotel Histria at Verudela but not for a few years. My preference would be Hotel Histria which is much more upmarket than the Park. It would depend on what kind of holiday you're looking for.

Surbiton
2. Re: Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?

Hi Danny,

It's the Park Plaza Histria we're looking at. At Pula (Verudela). We looked at Medulin but it seems to be a long way out of Pula, with nothing much around, and a bus every 90 minutes.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
reviews: 1
3. Re: Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?

Now I'm beginning to understand :) The hotel was always called the Hotel Histria until this hotel Chain bought it up and it's confusing for 2 reasons first because it seems all their hotels are preceded with the words Park Plaza and secondly because next door to the Park Plaza Hotel is the Hotel Park! We haven't stayed their since the takeover. I can give you some general idea of the set up however. First of all what do you know about the Verudela complex? Verudela is a tourist complex situated c. 2 miles from Pula centre. There are about half a dozen, if not more, hotels situated on the complex plus many holiday apartments and in High Season July/August it gets very crowded. I'll try to answer your questions in order as far as I can.

1. May can be lovely but you may get rain and, unless you're hardy, the sea may not be warm enough to swim in. There is a Destination Expert (chefathome) on this Forum who is there every May and swims, but she's Canadian and pretty hardy. It is unlikely that it will be crowded in May and Istria will be green with wild flowers at that time of year.

2. There is a bus stop quite near the complex, just a few minutes away from the hotel with a good service that will take you directly into the main street in Pula, Giardini. The buses get crowded in High Season but should be fine in May. There is also a taxi rank on Giardina and it doesn't cost a lot if you wanted to get back late from the centre.

3. I don't know but I doubt it.

4. I don't know.

5. I don't know.

6. It's likely that you can book excursions from the hotel but if not the complex has a Reception and Information office where I'm sure you can book excursions. There are also shops and restaurants on the complex.

There is a lovely walk along the the coastal path with a splendid cafe bar serving drinks and food (I noticed this year that it has changed it's name but I can't remember now but you can't miss it if you take the walk. It juts out over the sea with wonderful views. IMO Verudela is a much nicer situation than Park Plaza in Medulin.

I hope this helps a little and if you have any other general questions feel free to get back to me. We are in Pula every year for decades.

Edited: 1:51 pm, January 15, 2014
Surbiton
4. Re: Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?

Thanks Danny.

We don't know anything about the Verudela area. In fact, we've only been to Pula once, years ago, on a day trip from Rovinj, and really liked it.

For the past few years we've been to Greece and Cyprus, but feel we'd like to go back to Croatia. Though, to be honest, we're also looking at going to Italy - another country we love, but haven't visited for a while.

Surbiton
5. Re: Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?

I thought I'd better add that, after a lot of pondering, we've decided to go to Italy rather than Croatia. In a relatively small hotel, on B&B, overlooking the town's main square. So it couldn't be more different to the Park Plaza.

However, I'm sure this thread could turn out to be helpful for others.

Reply to: Anyone stayed at the Park Plaza Histria?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pula