We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed late April, early May visit.

Which Pula hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent, UK
reviews: 25
Proposed late April, early May visit.

Hi, Have spent time down in the south of Croatia, Makarska Riviera and Dubrovnik and now wish to explore the north and were looking at the Istria area and Pula in particular. Just wondering if everything would be open this early ie hotels, restaurants and historic sites etc ? We intend to hire a car to explore and would welcome ideas of places to visit and indeed any recommendations on hotels, either Pula or close by.

Many thanks

6 replies to this topic
Porec, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
reviews: 16
1. Re: Proposed late April, early May visit.

That is the best time in my opinion. Things are fresh and green weather warm and far less crowds. I have lots of stuff to write about Pula and its environs but am off to an appt. Cannot wait to respond to this and your other post! :-)

Porec, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
2. Re: Proposed late April, early May visit.

That is the best time in my opinion. Things are fresh and green weather warm and far less crowds. I have lots of stuff to write about Pula and its environs but am off to an appt. Cannot wait to respond to this and your other post! :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
reviews: 1
3. Re: Proposed late April, early May visit.

I won't spoil things for Chef because she'll be itching to tell you the delights of Istria and you will be well advised to take her advice - unless I disagree with her :- ). Just will say that you can easily get to Pula and Porec by public bus and the best thing about the bus is that you don't have to spend time driving around looking for somewhere to park in a town you don't know. If you have a hire car (which I strongly recommend - even if only for a few days) then you can easily get to the somewhat inaccessible hill towns.

I doubt if you will find a problem with hotels, restaurants etc. being closed (certainly not in Rovinj or Pula).

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
reviews: 1
4. Re: Proposed late April, early May visit.

Chef, where are you when you're needed?!!

Porec, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
5. Re: Proposed late April, early May visit.

OK. I'm finally here! The past few days have been uncharacteristically busy. Sorry to leave you hanging, Danny!

Pula is a great town. The more I see it, the more I appreciate it. It is definitely worth at least a solid day to see the Roman arena, the scant ruins of Agrippina's palace, the archaeology museum (if you are a fan) and the ruins behind the museum. The Roman Forum and arches are interesting, too. Pula has more to offer than many would realize. If you are into prehistory, there are interesting (but very ruined) ruins outside of Pula called Nesactium. It is very possible you will have the place completely to yourself. Worth a poke around.

For pretty scenery, Cape Kamenjak is lovely. However, there are fires smoldering there right now. There is a serious drought in Istria and there have been several fires all over. Very sad. One of the reasons April/May is the best time to go.

For gastronomes like me, you must eat at Konoba Batelina, in a town near Pula called Banjole. They specialize in little-known fish and sea creatures and are closed August as they feel the water is too warm for perfect fish. Anthony Bourdain was there on his "No Reservations" Croatia and loved it. Google my report of it here on TA. What is most recommended is placing yourself into their hands and allowing them to bring out dish after dish of perfection. It's so much fun when you have no idea what is coming next!

You must see a town called Bale. It is tiny and pure joy to wander its cobblestone streets. It is untouristed, too, and hopefully it will remain that way. Not far from Pula, either. Though Istria is tiny, it is loaded with wondrous things to experience, all close together. But often my husband and I leave our house there in the morning, intending to return a few hours later, when we realize it is suddenly 22:00! It is so easy to explore tiny roads, charming villages, breathtaking scenery, etc.

Plus spring is wild asparagus season! You will see many people picking it in the old stone walls for themselves and konobas. I love the stuff in eggs, risotto, soup, sauce on Boskarin meat (Istrian cattle)...lots of places will have specials that time of year.

Kent, UK
reviews: 25
6. Re: Proposed late April, early May visit.

Great help -Thank you all

Reply to: Proposed late April, early May visit.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pula