We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time Croatia

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
1st time Croatia

Hi there - my wife and I are travelling with another couple in August to Croatia for the first time. we are from Dunedin, New Zealand.We fly into Dubrovnik and have 7-10 days there before meeting more friends in Barcelona to do a Rugby World Cup trip for 4 weeks. My wife's ancestors come from Brac so we would like to visit there, but would appreciate advice on places to stay. We are more interested in Croatia being the relaxing part of our holiday as we have heard it is absolutely beautiful and the rest of our holiday is going to be a whirlwind. We thought maybe 3-4 days around Dubrovnik then we could make our way up to Split or stay on an island near there and ferry over to Ancona then head to Venice for a couple of days?Any advice would be much appreciated, especially with regards to accomm - we would like somewhere nice to stay but not hugely expensive. Thanks

London, United...
1. Re: 1st time Croatia

3 or 4 days in Dubrovnik would be fine to see most of the town and some of the surrounding areas. A bus trip up to Makarska would enable you to spend a few days there or take the ferry across to Brac if you do not want to stay on Brac. August is the busiest time of the year with hotels and ferries getting very busy. As to where to stay it depends on if you want to stay in hotels or private apartments.

There are daily ferries to Ancona from Split in August (up to 3 or 4 a day) and the rail journey from Ancona to Venice can be booked in advance at www.trenitailia.com

2. Re: 1st time Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:01 am, January 17, 2007
Zagreb
reviews: 86
3. Re: 1st time Croatia

Hi there NZ funseekers,

I'm a kiwi living in Croatia and have been several times to the coastline here. August is a very busy time for tourists in Croatia, so just remember that it's likely to be very crowded when you come.

Dubrovnik, Split and Brac are wonderful choices but do your research online to find the beaches that are right for you in those places. In Croatia they don't have sand beaches the same as in New Zealand - on many of the beaches in Croatia you will have pebbles or rocks to relax on. Take something suitable to lay on.

It's common here for hotels to have rates that include breakfast and/or lunch and/or dinner. I would recommend at least including breakfast in your stay, and then sampling Croatian delights in the numerous restaurants available. They are well-priced compared to New Zealand restaurants (at least half cheaper). Lunch here is the main meal of the day and can occur between 12-3pm - so expect the restaurants to be full. Dinner normally is a small meal (unlike in NZ).

Croatia has a bustling nightlife which is very safe, so please take advantage of it - in the evenings get out of the hotel and walk around the city to see what's going on - you will probably be treated to music, shopping (markets) and whatever else is happening. It is much safer in Croatia than in New Zealand in general. You can go out after dark and many people will be eating ice-cream and drinking coffee.

I would spend more time on Brac or another island if possible than in Dubrovnik or Split, just for the relaxation factor. So 2 days Dubrovnik, 2 days Split, then head for an island (or 2). Please try the Croatian wine, pizza and pasta, fish dishes, risotto, soups, schnitzel and the lovely cakes! AVOID OUR KIWI TENDENCY TO GO TO LESS CROWDED PLACES TO EAT - in Croatia, if a place is busy - then it is good! Spot the crowded places where people are eating or buying ice-cream and go there.

Venice is lovely, but crowded. Please remember when you go to Venice - take your own packed lunch and drink. Otherwise you will be paying at least $20 NZD for a sandwich and coke that aren't too flash hot! Pack some sandwiches at least and a few drinks and fruit, that way you can avoid paying so much for so little.

Buy your souvenirs in Croatia - they are wonderfully priced. Venice souvenirs are very expensive comparatively. (Try 4x the price than in Croatia).

Enjoy Croatia! I hope I have been of some help to you.

Kiwigal in Croatia

4. Re: 1st time Croatia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 22, 2009