We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel vs. apartment

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sf Bay Area
reviews: 31
Hotel vs. apartment

In browsing through this forum, it appears many TA folks choose to stay in apartments (rather than hotels) when visiting Dubrovnik. Is there a particular reason for this? Is there an abundance of apartments for vacation rental in this city? Or is there a shortage of decent hotels (which I doubt)?

We are a family of five planning to visit Dubrovnik in early September 2013. We are considering Old Town as we prefer not having to climb stairs, and we'd like to be close to main part of town. We welcome recommendations for hotels - particularly those that have suites that can accommodate all of us together.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
reviews: 11
1. Re: Hotel vs. apartment

Apartments are much cheaper and you get what you pay for in terms of service, amenities etc... Hotels is the way to go if you want to have worry free holiday as apartments vary in class and service. After all, you are staying at someone's home

reviews: 179
2. Re: Hotel vs. apartment

I think Morlaque hit the differences perfectly above. It is a bit more work to stay in an apartment. You need to organize the meeting and exchange of money and keys both coming and going....no front desk to help with arrangements (although many apartment owners have good ideas and are helpful) ....no breakfast (which usually comes with hotel) etc. etc. An apartment stay can be great and gives you in many cases more space and privacy but in Dubrovnik there are many choices for hotels and might be a bit easier. We like both type of accommodations but do find choosing an apartment is a bit riskier and sometimes less relaxing.

Virginia
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hotel vs. apartment

Considering you need to fit 5 people, I would especially choose an apartment, but to answer your question, that is just the way tourism has developed in Croatia. Residents converted floors of their houses, or properties they own separately from their home, into apartments to rent. It is one of the things I like the most about traveling there. I get a kitchen and often a terrace or balcony with view, for less than I'd pay for a subpar hotel in the US. I like that you get to interact with the owner in many cases, but often it is handled by a service--so not necessarily a personal interaction. You can often book it online just like you would a hotel, and see photos of the rooms as well as map the location.

I do think there is a lack of good budget hotels. If you want really basic or really extravagant, you are set. I do hear great things about www.dubrovnik-online.com/villa_adriatica/

ps old town will not necessarily mean no stairs, so check location carefully.

reviews: 179
4. Re: Hotel vs. apartment

I did not take note of the 5 people...apartment might be good. In my search I had some excellent communication from Dubrovnik Apartment Source...they operate a bit different that most agencies and seem to have some very apartments of high standard. Recommended in various guidebooks and here on TA as well. With 5 I would consider an apartment although some hotels have what they call "family rooms" but the extra space in an apartment would be really nice.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 10
5. Re: Hotel vs. apartment

I agree with the above. We chose an apartment to have a clothes washer and a kitchen - we didn't really cook but it was nice to have fridge for drinks and snacks. The apartment also had a great terrace which we used often.

We used Dubrovnik Apartment Source, mentioned in the above post, to rent our apartment. Their website is excellent - lots of info on the apartments they handle plus they were very responsive when it came to the questions we had. It was easy to book and process our deposit through Pay Pal. The owner was also in contact with us through email shortly after we booked. The owner of our apartment happened to live next door. We really didn't run into any issues but we could have reached him easiliy if we had.

We stayed in apartments in every destination we visited (Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, Split and Trogir) and were very pleased with our choice to do so.

Edited: 5:59 pm, February 20, 2013
6. Re: Hotel vs. apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 22, 2014