We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul to Dubrovnik

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Bragg...
Istanbul to Dubrovnik

I have 9 days mid May to travel solo from Istanbul to Croatia. Can anyone suggest an interesting itinerary for public transport? Possibly through the Greek Isles. Or Bulgaria? I am an older woman and want to see as much as I can, but dont know that part of the world. If nothing interesting reveals itself, I can fly.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 37
1. Re: Istanbul to Dubrovnik

I'm doing something similar in May, except going from Croatia to Istanbul. Given that you only have 9 days, I think a land route would be a bit too much. Flying is probably your best option.

Here's what I would suggest based soley on my research. I have not gone yet:

Spend a few days in Istanbul,

-fly to Athens (ground or sea transport is possible here), spend a little time in Athens,

- then FLY into Dubrovnik or Split depending on what you want to see. You can bus around at this point along the coast. Keep in mind that Kotar in Montenagro and Mostar in Bosnia may be worth seeing, and are within a bus ride of Dubrovnik.

I think with 9 days, the Greek Islands are not doable if you also want to see Croatia and Istanbul, but maybe someone else will tell us otherwise?

I have no knowledge of Bulgaria.

Fort Bragg...
2. Re: Istanbul to Dubrovnik

Thanks so much for your input. Fortunately I have three weeks each on either side of the nine days transit time to explore Istanbul first, then Croatia later, so those nine days between are the open opportunity. Perhaps a look around Greece is in order. I was hoping there was a way to island hop to Dubrovnik.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 37
3. Re: Istanbul to Dubrovnik

Well if you have 3 weeks, that changes everything. I have 3 weeks too, so I'm planning something similar, just starting in Croatia first. I've given myself 6 or 7 days for Croatia, 3 days for Istanbul, and 10 days for Athens and a Greek Island or two. That might be a bit ambitious, but I've been told that before.

I did examine trying a land/sea route from Croatia to Greece, but I decided against it, and have opted for flying.

This website here describes all your Croatia - Greece travel options: balkanology.com/overview/article_croatia_to_…

It appears to be a fairly common question, and surprisingly, its not that easy or cheap to travel from Croatia to Greece. I guess the old Ottoman - AustroHungarian border still lives to this day?? :)

Atlanta
reviews: 8
4. Re: Istanbul to Dubrovnik

It might be thing of past. But, how to explain lack of connections between North Italy and Croatia based on that theory. So, it does not work.

But, it works something else: European way to attract you to that destination and hold you there until you run out of money. So, nobody is interested to hold you for 3 days in Venice and make you easy transport to Croatia where you might spend 10 days and 3 times more money. They want you in Italy. They want you in Croatia and they want you in Greece.... That's the real answer for the lack of transport.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
5. Re: Istanbul to Dubrovnik

Bravo Tvrtko!

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
6. Re: Istanbul to Dubrovnik

It is fascinating that travel can be so complex based on a mix of politics, geography, history and railway lines! It is a common misconeption that it will be easy to get from Greece to Croatia and it isn't. In particular Albania has been very slow in opening up to tourists.

7. Re: Istanbul to Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 02, 2014