We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
reviews: 4
Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

Hi,

I am going on a hiking trip to Croatia in September. We will be staying in Dubrovnik, Makarska and Trogir.

We will be staying in hotels with air conditioning. But still....Are mosquitoes going to be a problem in those areas in September? I can't stand them--and they love me!

Thanks.

Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
reviews: 5
1. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

They will love you in Croatia too. Depends of the area, humidity of air. all kinds of repellents can be found in the shops here.

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 56
2. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

I would be using plug-ins at night and spray on myself in the evenings in September.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
3. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

I have seen last mosquitoe in Dubrovnik 4 years ago :) but maybe they will come with you....

Kansas
4. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

HA! I will try to leave them at home! We have monstrous mosquitoes in the state of Kansas! I'm glad to hear that Dubrovnik seems to be clear of them.

Thank you so much for the info!

Barb

Kansas
5. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

Thank you for the information....I really appreciate it!

Barb

Kansas
6. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

Thank you for the information....although that's not what I wanted to hear--Ha! Better to be forwarned though. Thanks again!

Barb

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
7. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

Perhaps some people are not affected by misquotes, such as my husband. I on the other hand are they meal of choice. This past long hot and humid summer was more than difficult, I was eaten alive every day. They are here, however I know they are all at my home just waiting for me to venture out.

Aldershot
reviews: 13
8. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

Sadly there are mosquitoes in Croatia during September. They are more prevalent after rain especially during the evening. Now here comes the strange part. My wife gets savaged by these pesky winged butchers whereas I do not get bitten at all. Must be using the wrong deodorant I guess.

The good news is that local pharmacy shops in Croatia carry a wide variety of repellents and anti itching creams but my advice is to take a supply with you as there are some good products to be had in both Europe and the USA. During May to July the insect problem is not as bad as later in the summer. Croatia is no worse for mosquitoes than any other country that I have visited and I could name many worse places so just take a few precautions and enjoy yourself because Croatia is beautiful and the people are so friendly and helpful. By the way take one of the organised trips to Mostar in Bosnia while you are there its well worth it and not expensive.

Kansas
9. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

Thank you for the information! Since you said the little devils are no worse in Croatia than anywhere else, then I won't be too concerned. I was just surprised to see several complaints about them in postings on Croatia--but now I know!

Thanks again.

Barb

Atlanta
reviews: 15
10. Re: Are there mosquitoes in Croatia in September?

We need to point out - they are all females. Just for clarification.....