We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
reviews: 4
Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

Hi, I have a wonderful decision to make, but I need help making it!

I am going on a hiking trip in Croatia in September. I have to pick one of 2 dates: Sept. 4 -17 OR Sept. 18 - Oct. 1. Other than the dates, the trips are just the same.

I am mostly concerned about the weather. I have read many weather-related posts on Tripadvisor, but most concern the best swimming weather.

If I take the trip that starts Sept. 4, will that be too hot for comfortable hiking, so the second trip would be better? OR, does fall come quickly in Croatia in Sept. and will be last part of the month have considerably more rain?

And what about the crowds? Will it still be extremely crowded the first week of Sept?

We will be staying in Dubrovnik, Makarska and Trogir.

I realize the trip choices are close together, but it seems like a huge decision--and one that can be made logically!

Which trip should I take--early Sept. or late Sept.??

Thanks!

Durham
reviews: 7
1. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

The second half of September would be better for hiking, but even in the second half of September it gets hot in the middle of the day. Spring and autumn are better for a strenuous walking holiday. Makarska and Trogir will still be lively enough, but a bit less crowded. Dubrovnik is still crowded in late September.

Manchester
reviews: 63
2. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

When we go to Croatia we usually go towards the middle, end of September and beginning of October. We were in Trogir at the end of September last year and it was very quiet . We also stayed in Baska Voda but walked to Makarska on one of our days there. Makarska was pretty quiet too. It was a pleasant temperature walking along the coast to and from Makarska and we took the opportunity to cool off along the way! Dubrovnik was still quite busy when we arrived which was the end of the first week in October. The sea was still warm enough for a swim. On another holiday in Dubrovnik we have been swimming at the end of October.

Sydney
reviews: 5
3. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

I would do it in second half of September, when it's not overcrowded there. Dalmatia (Croatia's south - around Dubrovnik ) is still warm enough for swimming, Northern parts are a bit cooler - perfect for hiking.

Kansas
4. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

Thank you for the information! I will take the later trip.

Barb

Kansas
5. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

Barb

Kansas
6. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

Barb

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
7. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

For hiking I would go later. I went to Brac in early September 2012 to climb/walk up Vidova Gora and do other walking and we had to get underway very early and were desperate to get to swim as we looked down on the beautiful Adriatic - great views. You are also quite south of Croatia so it will remain warmer; I hiked in Pakelnica nature park north of Zadar in late September 2011 and that was hot during the day but cooled down at night - which was very pleasant - that was a mix of being further north and later I think. I'd love to hear how you get on in Biokovo nature park - I've not yet hiked there (but I am going to Trogir late September....)

zagreb
reviews: 7
8. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

There is nothing better for hiking in Croatia then Velebit mountain in the Zadar region.

Kansas
9. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

Thank you for the detailed info....I really appreciate it!

Barb

Kansas
10. Re: Help me choose the best dates for a hiking trip in Croatia!

Good to know! Thank you!

Barb