We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
reviews: 23
Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

Hi everyone,

I am coming to Dubrovnik for the first time in April, staying 4 nights in the Old Town. I am vegan, and believe it is quite hard to find meals without meat in Croatia, and any vegetarian options are likely to contain eggs or dairy produce.

I know there is the restaurant Nishta which is the only place catering specifically to vegetarians and vegans, and at the moment, I'm guessing I will be dining there every night!

I wanted to know if there are other ways to get by as a vegan in the city? I understand the local dish 'blitva' is something I could eat, since it is made with olive oil rather than butter.

Are there other things I could find on a menu that I can put together to make a meal for lunch while I'm exploring?

Also - is there anywhere I can buy soya milk?

Thank you!

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
1. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

You can get soya milk in the bigger supermarkets - I've found it near Trogir. Try Konzum or Tommy (both in Dubrovnik).

There is a lot of pasta and pizza but I imagine the cheese would not be vegan. I wouldn't want to survive on blitva as I always seem to get it somewhat overcooked (could just be the move to more al dente style veg though). Nishta re-open in March and you could contact them for advice on what you can get in local shops http://www.nishtarestaurant.com/contact.html

There are some excellent salads available in restaurants.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 291
2. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

you will love nistha...they were so nice. hubby doesn't like veggie food, but loved this place. they possibly, you could email them, and ask for them to make something special for you. croatians are a wonderful bunch..and they aim to please.

idaho
Destination Expert
3. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

wow, just looked at their menu, and am drooling. so there is a website..i would ask them about any other places...sure that they would tell you!!

Manchester, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I emailed Nishta a few days ago, they are definitely the only place in town that has specifically vegan food - but the menu does look good enough to go there each night!

I found the Bio and Bio shop where I may be able to get snacks? http://biobio.hr/

Thanks for help with where to get soya milk too :)

idaho
Destination Expert
5. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

email the restaurant about that..they will help.

devon
reviews: 28
6. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

The daily food market, just behind the harbour has a gorgeous selection of fresh fruit and salads, plenty of good bakers in Dubrovnik too - can vegans eat bread? (sorry for ignorance) If yes, you have the makings of a yummy picnic, truffles are a local speciality and infussed olive oil is widely available, if I recall the market also sells a good selection of nuts too. Several restaurants sold grilled vegetables, but unsure if you could be confident that it would be totally vegan. Thereare worse places to eat every night than nishta! Enjoy

Rotherham, United...
reviews: 12
7. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

Glad I found this thread I am off there in May and will be paying a visit am hungry now !

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
reviews: 141
8. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

Nishta is fantastic. I am vegetarian but my husband isn't and even he enjoyed it. You do need to book though as it is not a very big restaurant and they were turning people away when we were there.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
9. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

In case anyone else wants to come to Dubrovnik.... I'm vegan and I live there....

The offer is not very good in shops...My suggestion is to go to Bio&Bio market across Tommy center.They have the best organic/vegan offer-salamis,burgers,pastries,tofu and everything else vegan you need.... If you wanna eat at restoraunts visit Nishta,that's vegan/vegetarian restaurant at Prijeko street in Old city. Must reserve your table there since they're always bussy....020 322 088 -that's the number. Good lucky!! :)

Zagreb, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Croatia
reviews: 26
10. Re: Surviving as a vegan in Dubrovnik?

for some vegan fast food, you can always stop by the Škola bar, which is about the 3rd street to the left when entering the old town from the Pile gate (there's a sign for it) - they make various sandwiches and you can always ask for a vegan one....