We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing.....30 something's

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 50
Sailing.....30 something's

Any reccomendations for week sailing and activity tour group?

Split, Croatia
reviews: 3
1. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

are u on your own or u are part of the group?

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

It's going to be three or four of us. My friend found a site, but I couldn't find any recent reviews and it may be a scam. We were hoping to rent a small sailboat and do island hopping for a few days.

I've read there are issues with having suitcases aboard the small boats, and it's been difficult to find a decent review.

Split, Croatia
reviews: 3
3. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

Do you have vaild license or you would need a skipper?

I can help you out in finding good boat if you need that kind of help....

I work as a skipper for many years now (i own a 30 foot sailboat )and i know many boat owners so i can get much better prices than clients can online.....

Feel free to contact me at: vbublica@yahoo.com

Cheers....

Exeter, United...
reviews: 58
4. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

Hi. If vbublica's suggestion doesn't work out, take a look at:

http://www.charteradria.com/

I've just hired a RIB from them for our summer break on Korcula and they seem professional - they hire a range of motor and sailing boats.

Vbublica's point about a licence is important - you can't hire a boat without a skipper unless you have one. In the UK, it's feasible to get a certificate for motor vessels through a 2 day course and a day skipper certificate through a one week course. Check the RYA or your local equivalent.

Denver, Colorado
5. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

None of us have a license. Thanks so much for all of your help so far. My friends would like to do 5 days instead of 7 (which most companies seem to offer). Prob route from Dubrovnik to Split and pass some islands in between. I need info on a few more items:

1) Most of these charters that are not group charters have no mention of food or drink onboard. Are there catering options? If not is there enough space on board for food and drinks in the fridge?

2) On a Dubrovnik to Split 5 day or so trip, how much time is spent on the ocean vs. land?

3) When you dock at each island/city, are there additional fees which must be paid? Harbor fees?

Thanks,

CC

Split, Croatia
6. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

1. Food and drinks are ussualy payed extra, they can be payed upon embarkation. Some smaller boat can charge you only the real costs of food and drinks, not commercial costs.

2.if you hire a boat for your own, you can arrange the route with the owner,but ussualy more time is spent on islands.

3.Someone includes that in the price, and someone ask for additonal paying, it depends on a company,you should ask that before booking.

Exeter, United...
reviews: 58
7. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

Hi, Carriealison.

If you don't have a license, but want to combine sailing the Croatian islands with something more active than sitting back while your hired skipper sails the boat, have you considered using the 5 days to do the Day Skipper course in Croatia? I can recommend Sunsail for this:

sunsail.co.uk/sailing-schools/kremik-sailing…

We took a 2 week group charter with them in the Greek Islands a few years back and various family members did the training before going. Great fun, and the only safe preliminary to doing more independent sailing on a later trip, if you don't have experience.

By the way, you're right about not taking hard suitcases. However, foldable bags are fine - and if your friends really need to protect designer gowns, etc. then this may not be the right choice of trip!

Best wishes.

8. Re: Sailing.....30 something's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 05, 2014