We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Dubrovnik

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
reviews: 29
First trip to Dubrovnik

Travelling to Dubrovnik for the first time early next April, Easter week.

Just wondering what weather should we expect and will it be busy, compared to the summer months.

Also any suggestions about where to stay that would be convenient for getting in and out of the city, we are a couple early 50s/late 40s.

How late does public transport run and any ideas for day trips and any recommendations for a reliable airport transfer company.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

North west England
reviews: 24
1. Re: First trip to Dubrovnik

Shuttle direct are a very reliable transfer service at a good price.

You must do the walls and cable car and a trip to Montenegro which you can buy locally

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 122
2. Re: First trip to Dubrovnik

Hi

Came back mid Nov. We stayed right in the old town and used public transport and went on two day tours. One was Ancient Montenegro Tour booked online with viator.com which charged in AUD dollars which was great and also I enquired with the Dubrovnik local booking agents and the price was similar so therefore no transfer fees needed...The tour was great and you can look under my contributions and reviews for all of my Dubrovnik, Montenegro and Mostar excursions.

We also went on a day tour of Mostar in Bosnia and Herezgovina althought the day was rainy and threatening skies.We booked that at the Tourist info centre only two days before in the old town. Small company coach..(review)

Our accommodation was in an apartment on the second floor just one street across from the main street, Stradun and it was a 2 min walk from inside Pile Gate where we were dropped off by our transfer company (review also). It is a flat street and outside our apartment are a few outdoor eateries. We had an outdoor theatre directly opposite us but it was not working while we were there in October. The apartment is one bedroom, modern, good bathroom off the bedroom and a comfortable sofa bed in the lounge. The stairs however are winding steep, narrow timber type...no lift...Madrid is the first apartment up but we stayed in Barcelona Apt above. It was very convenient as the buses pull in outside the Pile Gate our closest entrance. There is a small grocery shop just up from the gate and a couple of Restaurants. Our tours pulled in a bit further up at the Imperial Hilton Hotel and the garage beside it. Not far to walk. Inside the walls are a couple of small grocery shops but limited items.

We got the bus down to Gruz area where there is a larger shopping centre and also we sat outside on a covered verandah in front for lunch overlooking the top end of the harbour. We also got a bus to Cavtat a lovely fishing village 30 mins south of Dubrovnik for a half day out.

The website for the apartments is

http://www.dubrovnikapartments-online.com/

If booking remember to ask the person who meets you there how everything works as there is a switch beside the light in the bedroom that switches off the hot water!

Also here is my trip list...scroll down to Dubrovnik where we stayed for a week.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i31967-Mount…

I loved this area and we had wonderful weather. Be aware that cruise tourists flood the old town during the day only and so we were out and about most days while they were there.

There are also boat trips to islands off shore and can book down at the small harbour. Check this on arrival.

Enjoy

Niec...loved Ireland!

Edited: 3:04 pm, November 23, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 27
3. Re: First trip to Dubrovnik

Have a look at Cavtat.... Fab little harbour town. Number 10 bus runs regularly from Dubrovnik and back (approx €1.20) or you can get a boat (approx €10)

We have stayed in Cavtat 3 times and couldn't recommend it high enough. Prices a bit cheaper here too.

Day trip to Kotor in Montenegro is a great day, fantastic views the whole way.

Edited: 8:13 pm, November 23, 2012
Dubrovnik, Croatia
4. Re: First trip to Dubrovnik

Let me share my opinion, April is much slower that the mid season, but surely i would reccomend it more that August :) I believe it is a rather to cold to swim but is great to seesight or just admire the old town beauties :)

Depends what you prefer about stay, Dubrovnik has many nice hotels but are let's say more expensive that a private rooms or apartments.. i would chose apartment if i want to stay more.. One of the web pages i believe is quit good

www.super-apartmani.hr/trazi…

i sent you direct link to be easier ...

Public transport in this part of year is very good, i believe it runs very often depends where you stay, if you decide to stay in center you have many lines that will leads you directly where ever you want to go.. but if you are somewhere a bit outisde you have busses approy every 1 hour...

Dubrovnik is a small but very beautiful town, you won't get bored that you can be very sure.. many small restarant and popular bars will make your stay here very different :)

Dubrovnik have many small agencies for trip excursions to Montenego, islands and Konavle region, i would reccomend http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/

have a nice stay in Dubrovnik and share it with us :)

Palm Desert
reviews: 41
5. Re: First trip to Dubrovnik

@Neic....thanks for your input on this question. And the apartment you stayed in look great. We are hoping to travel to Dubronik next spring and we are looking for an apartment to rent. Your's looked great. could you tell me if it was quiet? We usually like the top floor so that we don't hear people walking above us. did you have a problem with any noise? Would you rent this apartment again or look elsewhere? Any more input you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks...kattom...

6. Re: First trip to Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, December 16, 2013