We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dubrovnik

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
dubrovnik

We're travelling to dubrovnik in mid may 2013, arriving by plane in the evening. We are the wrong side of 50 but are independent travellers. We have 3 weeks to travel around Croatia& montenegro

Firstly is there an airport bus, croatian airways or otherwise, into town and where does it drop you? Bearing in mind our later arrival, where is the best area of dubrovnik to stay? We would like a place with character if possible but not too expensive.

Also, does anyone have any info on sim cards for croatia? Can they be purchased at the airport and can they be used in neighbouring countries?

Edited: 10:06 pm, October 25, 2012
Msida, Malta
reviews: 3
1. Re: dubrovnik

As to the airport bus this leaves the airport after every flight regardless of airline you fly with - it stops at Pile Gate/entrance to old town and also the main bus station in Dubrovnik

I would suggest you rent an apartment in or near the old town if you wish a place with Character

Here is one site you can look at for ideas :-

http://dubrovnik-area.com/Eng/

Some friends from Norway who stayed with us wished to stay in the old town of Dubrovnik for a few days before their return and found accommodation easy on this site

Happy planning !

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 22
2. Re: dubrovnik

Agreed that you should find a place near Old Town, then you won't have to take a bus to get into Old Town when you want. Ploce area apartments are nice for the great view but would entail walking quite a few stairs to get up to.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 122
3. Re: dubrovnik

Hello fellow Brisbanite....

We two ladies (not girls) just came back from a 32 day holiday around Europe with a week in Dubrovnik...

(1) We stayed in the old town just inside the gate where that shuttle bus drops you off...it does not pick you up there and you would have to walk a ways with your luggage to wait for the return bus outside the area where the cable car is. We got a private transfer $30 AUD each way and paid the driver.

He met us outside Pile Gate just up the road to go back as we were staying in an apartment not a hotel.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g295371-d…

(2) We bought a Travel Sim card from a phone shop in Brisbane and topped up the sim. Make sure your phone is compatible by calling the Travel Sim no. (Online details) and they will check if it is compatible and actually will set you up. We could just top up by the phone as we travelled. It worked everywhere we went. Check that out online and if you are not a chatter and just quickly checking in at home, want to ring in advance to confirm bookings or just like the security of having aphone in case of emergencies etc it is not costly.

(3) We stayed in Barcelona Apartment booked with Dubrovnik Apartments Online. Haven't been able to do a review as TA has not got back to me yet. However, I kept in touch with the owner by emails and we also arrived later in the evening and someone was in the apartment ot meet us. You need to get a run down on how everything works even the TV, washing machine and there is also a switch in the bedroom that turns off the hot water..

This was just a one bedroom apartment with a very comfortable sofa bed in the lounge room. Modern inside but up a very winding and narrow timber staircase...perhaps opt for the apartment on the below floor(Madrid) if interested and would not prefer to hike up and down the staircase.

It was only two streets parallel to the mains street Stradun and was flat to walk. Better than all the high stepping streets around some of the old town. It is in a 250 yr old building and has outdoor eateries down below on the narrow street. Loved this area and the old town.

http://www.dubrovnikapartments-online.com/

I also have some reviews of a couple of restaurants there under my latest reviews

I have done a trip list of our 32 day holiday but if you scroll down to Dubrovnik it will show you what we did and where we went for the week. Two day tours, a half a day out to Cavtat by bus and back by ferry with a review of a waterfront restaurant there also.

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i31967-Mount…

A lovely part of the world

Niec

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: dubrovnik

Thankyou guys you've given me some good ideas and the accommodation website looks good. Any more recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Canberra, Australia
5. Re: dubrovnik

Just read your review as I posted a question. Very helpful - thanks!!

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 122
6. Re: dubrovnik

You're both welcome and as I always look up the reviews I also appreciate the input from fellow travellers...don't forget to put up yours and perhaps a trip list when you get back...really enjoyed Dubrovnik.

australia
reviews: 1
7. Re: dubrovnik

We took your advice and booked at the barcelona appts but only seville appartment was available. It was absolutely wonderful, perfect appartment, easy access and very helpful hosts. Thankyou for your recommendation. I am sifnosue as well !!

Edited: 11:41 pm, June 28, 2013
8. Re: dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 30, 2014