We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
reviews: 90
Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

We are an active 60 year old couple looking to stay 3 nights in Dubrovnik in Sept. and I am very confused about which area to stay and what sort of accommodations would be best. I have been looking at what look like charming apartments in the old town, but am concerned about the noise and lack of patios or balconies. I have also been looking at locations outside of old town having 10 - 30 minute walks to the old town gate. There seem to be some great apartments with view balconies, and of course there are the big hotels as well. I like charm, but I also like nice accommodations and I would like to keep the price under $200 a night. I would love to hear from others who have stayed at various locations and the pros and cons. Thanks.

57 replies to this topic
1. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

Depends where you stay in the old town. Noise levels will vary depends where you are. Lapad is a very nice area if you want to avoid noise. Hotel Palace has direct bus access right outside the hotel. Neptune hotel is a great value , balcony sea view bus access. Little up the scale and close to the old town .. Excelsior, Argentina hotels. Have a look at the area of Ploce . Private apartments 5-10 min walk to the old town. Although most are elevated and a little walk up some stairs. simple rule of thumb.. Distance , price and quality.. you can only choose 2.

hope I was of some help.

dvino wine bar

Edited: 12:36 pm, March 15, 2012
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
reviews: 288
2. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

we stayed in the ploce, over looking the harbor, at simply angelic apts...it was 200 stairs up, but easy. we are over 60 and hubbyis 75. it was easy, and you get to walk thru peoples gardens and see their life. behind the gate of the apts, is a beautiful garden and views. the view are just like you see on the web. the apts were CLEAN and nice, and if we were to come to dub again, we would stay there. we brought groceries home and made great meals and looked at the ocean.

have fun.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 22
3. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

My choice would be in the Ploce area..I would love to wake up every morning and go out on a terrace and look out at the Old Town walls. I know this means steps to get up to these apartments from the Old Town, but the view would outweigh the trek up every day.

Virginia
reviews: 1
4. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

If you are not up for the stairs to get the balcony/view, then choose a place on a side street in old town. Only the main streets are noisy.

Canberra
reviews: 6
5. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

Hi Charley48

I would be grateful for the name of the place you stayed in and a bit of a review of it.

We are also of a "certain age" and are looking at Ploce as a sensible location, but are having some difficulty in sorting through the apartments available.

Cheers

Nanedaus

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
6. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

We are going back to Karmen apartments in the old town this July. Apartment 1 has amazing views over the harbour, but no balcony. Apartment 1 is the only one with a view though the rest don't. I really enjoyed my last stay there, but it's maybe not a spot for a whole week. I'd split my stay if I were there for a week.

Sacramento...
reviews: 90
7. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and thoughts. I think I will go for an apartment in the Ploce area. I really want the gorgeous views, and walking up the stairs is good for wearing off all the food and drink consumed while on vacation!

idaho
Destination Expert
8. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

i did nanadas,

simply angelic apartments...google it. the pictuers are exactly what the place looks like and nena was wonderful. just had friends stay there and it was a refuge for them after a day in the old city. full kitchen and we loved the view.

the stairs were a pleasant walk for us.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 22
9. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

Good choice in picking the Ploce area! The views will be worth the climb!

idaho
Destination Expert
10. Re: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?

totally...

Reply to: Best Area To Stay In Dubrovnik?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted