We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Which Dubrovnik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
time2travel88
reviews: 17
Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Here are a few questions:

1. What ferry company would you recommend booking with?

2. What cabin type would you recommend for a couple? Is a shower necessary or just a toilet?

3. As we can not board our cruise in Dubrovnik until 2pm is there somewhere at the terminal we can securely leave our luggage while we explore the city?

Thank you in advance.

46 replies to this topic
Jelsa, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Hvar
reviews: 5
1. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

1. I know for Jadrolinija (Croatian company) and Azzura Lines (Italian comp.)

You will probably choose the one whose timetable suits to your plans.

2. You can answer that question yourself.

3. There must be some, somebody from Dubrovnik will answer more precisely, I am sure.

time2travel88
2. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Thank you.

canada and usa
reviews: 28
3. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

HI there- I did the same route Bari to Dubrovnik. When we arrived at the Bari train station, right outside there is a bus terminal. Ask and they will tell you which bus brings you to the port for Croatia. The ride is about 10 minutes. You will have to buy your tickets (upstairs) if you haven't bought them already. There are a few options, but we chose the overnight cabin. Jadrolinija was the company we went with. I was much happier knowing we can sleep a little thank trying to find a comfy place with our baggage, among other tourists. They knock on your door to wake you up in the morning and have a simple breakfast. Coffee was all I needed. Once you arrive, there are buses and taxis outside the port that can bring you where you need to go. Hope this helps! Have fun. Dubrovnik is awesome!

time2travel88
4. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Thanks so much for all the info. I agree about the cabin. It's great to hear that Dubrovnik is awesome. We can not wait to go!

Do you know if there is somewhere is securely leave the luggage at the port in Dubrovnik?

Thanks again.

Olympia, Washington
5. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Hi, are the cabins offered by the Jadrolinija line pretty nice? I am worried the accomodations will be outdated, dank, unclean. I was thinking about taking Azzurra Line if it is nicer.

Columbus, OH
reviews: 1
6. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

I find these messages interesting. I will be on the ferry in June. I tried booking a cabin in Feb. and was told for the day I am traveling they were sold out. So we are sleeping on deck.

time2travel88
7. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Oh. No-sold out already! I better book ours then.

I have not seen the cabins either. It would be great to get some feedback from someone who has been on it...

Coventry, United...
8. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Hi! I am thinking travel on deck..do you think I need a sleeping bag?

will be going this july...and found out it is so expensive..abt 60eur on deck with Jadrolinija line!

i have no info about the Azzurra line as their site does not function well! can anyone suggest some cheap way for cruise to dubrovnik? thanks in advance!

Hamilton, New...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

When we booked with Jadrolinija in February for a crossing on 1st June, we were told that there were no cabins available. I sent an email to them as I was surprised. Apparently, companies pre-book, but release what they don't want. They were really helpful, and we got a cabin allocated in March. We don't have to pay another booking fee, and can pay the difference in price when we get to Bari port. Hope this if some help.

Judy

Sydney, Australia
10. Re: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik

Here is our experience getting from Bari Station onto the Jadrolinija overnight ferry to Dubrovnik, which caused us some difficulties - buying the ticket over the internet was the easy part. The hard part was exchanging the internet ticket receipt for the boarding documents and finding out where to do this.

Outside Bari station is a tourist information service. This was unattended but a sign advised that bus 20/ (the slash is important) for one euro goes to the ferry terminal. There was a separate ticket office which sold the tickets.

The trip to the terminal takes about 10 minutes. The port area is secure and the bus passes through the only tourist entrance.

The terminal was a large cavernous building, largely uninhabited. We arrived rather early (about 16:30 for a 22:00 departure) and found a luggage depot opposite the terminal which looked after our luggage for 8 euros.

Signs at the terminal say the Croatia departures are from the first floor. This was incorrect. On the ground floor is a Jadrolinija office whose attendants refused to answer any questions and referred us to the information desk opposite. Here we were told there is a regular shuttle bus running every five minutes back and forth from the terminal to a Jadrolinija office on the waterfront about 3 kilometers away where the internet printout must be exchanged for boarding documentation. The bus ran starting 18:00.

The Jadrolinija office is supposed to open at 18:30 but actually opened somewhat later. We decided to wait near the counter prior to opening which turned out to be a good move because a long queue quickly formed behind us and the three guys in front of us took about 15 minutes to process once the window opened.

Boarding started through the back of the ground floor terminal hall at 20:00 through an emigration checkpoint whose attendants were far more interested in joking around with each other than actually processing passengers. Once out on the wharf we boarded the ship through the car loading ramp. There was an attendant who showed us to our cabin. This I must say was very clean, spacious and comfortable. Your luggage goes into the cabin with you.

We had time to kill during this long process and got a map of the town from the information point in the terminal. The old town with its Norman Castle, old cathedrals and narrow cobbled streets is just a short walk from the terminal. It is one of the most fascinating parts of Europe I have been to, and completely unspoilt by tourism. Quite safe, but a real maze where we quickly got lost. However it is a relatively small area surrounded on three sides by water and once you get to the water it is easy to orient yourself. If you pass through Bari without seeing the old town you are really missing an experience.

Reply to: Ferry: Bari to Dubrovnik
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted