We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

Which Split hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

looking for opinions on which city to stay in for 1.5 days. Split, Zadar or Trogir.

Thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
1. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

To me it depends on your interests...so what are your interests? When will you go and where will you be before and after?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

Will be coming from Plitvice Lakes (Zagreb first) then working our way to Dubrovnik. Interested in culture, city, old town but I feel like we will get that in Dubrovnik so not sure we need to see Split's Old Town too..? Will have plenty of beach time in Dubrovnik. Wanted to do Split mainly for the Palace but is seeming expensive to stay right there. So, contemplating a different destination on our way to Dubrovnik. Trogir and Zadar sound nice. Can't decide. I read contrasting opinions about Split.

Thanks!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
3. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

I think they are all nice...Split is the biggest of the three but full of great history...Trogir is smaller but close enough to go to see Split easily....to me Zadar is very underrated and a very nice place with a great vibe...each has positives and nothing much negative about each.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

Thank you!

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
5. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

I'd say Trogir as you can then easily visit Split which is NOT to be missed. Split is totally different to Dubrovnik as the key archtiecture is the Roman palace which has been absorbed into the city into homes and shops in a great way. Split is also a working city with an active sea port so it always has a good buzz. Trogir is tiny so is more relaxing than Split - a tiny Venetian city. Dubrovnik is wonderful but is over-run with cruise ships and has the feel of a toy-town with a total dependence on tourists. I like Zadar but the front is very disappointing other than the sea organ and light-show at night, although it also has Roman remains.

Of course its all totally individual in terms of what people prefer....

Edited: 5:30 am, July 07, 2014
Split, Croatia
reviews: 35
6. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

Split offers the most variety--beach, history, nightlife, better restaurants and better quality hotels. Trogir Old Town is charming, small nice hotels, but no pool or beach or generous space to unwind. Zadar has very limited choice and while its Old Town is interesting, it is no comparison to Split or Trogir, which are both deservedly UNESCO World Heritage sites.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
7. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

Thank you! This is very helpful information. I actually already booked a place to stay in Split. I'm now wondering if it is necessary to see Trogir? Or just stay in Split. We will only have 1.5 days there so...

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
8. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

It's not necesary to go on holiday at all - but as you're so close and I don't know how likely you are to return to Croatia in the next couple of years I would go. Trogir is only 15 miles from Split - you could actually visit on your way from Plitvice, park for a couple of hours, then go on to Split. Lots of people get the boat there too and as you don't seem to be including any islands in your trip then that might be something else to consider.

Atlanta
reviews: 8
9. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

I would not miss Zadar for any other place. But, you are touching me im my soft spots. I love all 3.

I would try to check in all 3. Zadar and Trogir for just a couple of hours and then enjoy Split.

Go to the old city of Zadar and just walk around, visit church of St. Donat and walk at the shore, just to feel it. Trogir is small and should not be missed. Cathedral is MUST.

If you have spare 1 hour, stop in Sibenik and just look the Cathedral. You would love it. It is so special.

Dubrovnik, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik, Zadar, Croatia
reviews: 11
10. Re: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir

Another vote for Zadar. That is one of the place that true travelers love the most and, like Barry said, it definitely has the best vibe. Trogir is good for an hour long walk as it is very "medieval" so a bit dark and claustrophobic despite all the rich architecture. Split is fabulous but Zadar is better. If going there "God and Silver of Zadar" or Antique Glass Museum are all some of the top exhibitions on all of the coast

Reply to: Where to stay: Split vs Zadar vs Trogir
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted