We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

Which Split hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

Hi all

We are honeymooning in Croatia in September, arriving and departing from Split. We would like to see Dubrovnik and some interesting places on the way there. We're not sure whether to spend time in Split or to head straight to Dubrovnik, where we thought we might rent an apartment.

Is it best to pre book all the accommodation, or is it easy to find reasonable places once we are there? We will be relying on public transport.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
1. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

I think you would be able to find accomodation once you get there but I think you should book before you go for some peace of mind. I don't think you would want to end up with something poor on your honeymoon! We spent one night in Split on our recent trip and I think that would be the most I would spend there. I do think that six to seven nights in Dubrovnik might be a bit too much. You could take the ferry from Split to Hvar or Korcula and spend a couple of nights in either of those places before heading to Dubrovnik? Or you could just jump on the bus and head to Dubrovnik or maybe look at stopping along the way in places like Brela, Makarska, Baska Voda or Tucepi. From Makarska you could also get out to the island of Brac and head to the city of Bol, but I am not sure about using public transport out on the islands. I do think that you could stop anywhere along the way and enjoy the beauty of Croatia. Good luck!

San Jose, California
reviews: 7
2. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

My husband and I were in Croatia for 8 days last September and we arrived without any reservations. I recommend using Sobes, private accomodations that you arrange directly with the people when you arrive. It sounds a little scary, but it's really easy and we saved a ton of money on lodging and had more to spend on great meals and other things. It also allowed us to be very flexible with our schedule since we were able to come and go when we wanted instead of having prepaid for a certain about of time and being stuck there. We did this in 4 different cities throughout Croatia and loved it. Hope it works out for you!

NY
reviews: 26
3. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

We'll also be in Croatia in September and trying to figure out where to go and what to see. Split and Dubrovnik seem to be a must but not sure what to include in between.

How exactly does the system or getting housing on arrival work? I was planning on booking some private apartment prior to arrival just in case. Would waiting be cheaper?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
reviews: 79
4. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

I would spend some time in both Dubrovnik and Split, using each as a base for day trips into surrounding countryside. Each is a "destination" (as you'll notice by the crowds, especially in Dubrovnik), with more to see/do in Dubrovnik. Try to take the time, though, to get out into the countryside.

Out of Dubrovnik you could make an easy visit to Cavtat (get a boat in the old town harbor) or a full-day visit to Kotor in Montenegro (rent a car or take a bus tour).

Out of Split you could go to Trogir, Krka National Park, and/or Jurlinovi Dvori (in Draga, near Primosten).

Those are five very different options, so really depends on your interests.

Cavtat is a laid-back village on the water, great promenade, sidewalk cafes.

Kotor is one of the most spectacular sites along the Adriatic, at the end of a fjord with 4000 foot mountains.

Trogir is a charming with its pedestrian-only old town.

Krka Park is pleasant for walks among waterfalls (not as dramatic as Plitvice, but easier strolling).

Jurlinovi Dvori is in the hills outside of Primosten, a fascinating ethno-heritage collection of 17th century buildings in a small farming community. (Check it out on Google).

You can't go wrong with any of them!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
reviews: 12
5. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

I just spent 5 days in Split and the islands, so I can't speak for Dubrovnik or stops along that route, but I would highly recommend at least 1 full day and night in Split, and then island hop for a few days if you can. Hvar was my favorite -- only about 2.5 hrs on the ferry from Split, but an inconsistent schedule so stop by the ferry stand (it's right where the Croatia Airlines bus drops you off) when you arrive so you can pick up the schedule and plan accordingly.

There were plenty of people offering rooms when I got off the Croatia Airlines bus in Split, so that seemed a possibility. We booked at Apartment Nikolina 75 Euro/night through apartments-split.com and thought it was great. Perfect location, fresh, clean, and new, and warm, unintrusive hostess.

croatia
6. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

Hi,

In my opinion, the best way to see great places and not to miss anything is hiring a boat at some agency. Every summer I take some boat and skipper and sail. It's really great experience and, also, you don't have to be at one place only, but you move, enjoy, meet new people, new places...I can recommend lord-yachting cause I sail with them. And enjoy!

San Jose, California
reviews: 7
7. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

You don't need to book in advance or go thru an agency. Just walk off the boat or bus and you'll usually be swamped with people trying to get you to rent their place. I know on the island of Hvar we had our own apartment and we rented from a woman named Zora. She also works in the main hotel on the main strip there opposite the ocean. I can't recall how much we paid, but we were in 4 different cities and for 2 of us for 8 days we paid about $300. In Dubrovnik we were in the city walls and just had a room and had to share the bathroom the last day there. Every other place we had a little apartment set up of our own, 2 of them had kitchens. If you go with the people and you don't like what you see, you can turn them down. You can also bargain with them on the price. Good luck!

NZ
reviews: 3
8. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

Agree with all of the above. You could spend two days in Split if you want to go to Trogir which is a UNESCO Heritage site (as is Dubrovnik) and very pretty. A good apartment in Split is Zephyrus. They have a web site. It might be a little pricey but we really enjoyed it, it was in the centre of the old town, it was all brand new (in June 2006) and the people were lovely.

We took a vintage sailing( actually motor) cruise around the islands for 7 days on one of the Katarina line boats (google them). Really enjoyed it. Visited lots of the islands and all were great, particularly Hvar.

Also spent two nights in Dubrovnik on our own. Wonderful city.. Stayed at the Hotel Excelsior which is right near the old town. Again the price was on the high side but the location was right on the water's edge and their terrace has wonderful views of the old town and out across the Adriatic.

If you are in Dubrovnik, try the Arsenal Restaurant and bar. Very new and recommended in a UK airline magazine. We went there twice it was so good . It's in the old town and right on the water's edge . Have fun.

9. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:57 pm, May 11, 2008
Tamworth
reviews: 6
10. Re: 8 days in croatia (flight to Split)

I too am going to Croatia in 10 days without having pre-booked any accommodation (apart from my first 2 nights). We're doing a lot of travelling around and wonder if the 'old ladies' will still be around should we arrive at places late at night? We won't be arriving really late but could be about 8pm/9pm. Am worried that the agencies won't be open at that time and might need to rely on the 'old ladies'...

How funny that there's another rabbit who likes to travel in this post!