We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

Which Split hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kilmarnock, United...
reviews: 68
Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

My boyfriend and I are travelling to split for a week in July to attend ultra europe.

We are staying in an apartment in split which is booked and we pay that in euros when we arrive. We have been quoted 30 euros private transfers from the airport is this good?

Are we best to take spending money in kuna or euros?

Planning on visiting the palace.. Is there information in English around or are we better to do the cheap tour? And if anyone has been on the Blue lagoon boat trip which is reviewed on here was it good?

We will probably go a walk up Marjan hill since it has good reviews.

Also is a trip to Trogir worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Piotrkow...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

Hi.

Don't take to much euro to Croatia. You pay euro only for private accomodation. I was there over 20 times and always used ATM.

Use local ATM and pay in kuna.The euro exchange rate in shops, restaurants, pay tolls, ships,etc.... is worse than in ATM.

English is very popular on the croatian coast. Not as much as german or polish but most people are basic english speakers (more or less like me ;-) ).

Look at website www.ehrvatska.pl. it's polish website but partially translated to english.

Zagreb, Croatia
2. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

you can also exchange euros into kuna in exchange offices (there are plenty of them in the city) and there you will get the best price for euro...to get to trogir use bus and you can also visit beautiful cities SIBENIK or ZADAR (on the way you will see how beautiful is croatian coast because bus is driving along the coast and you have magnificent view from the bus) with bus line because they are the cheapest way to travel in croatia if you dont have car

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
3. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

All you need is Kunas since that is still the official currency...your apartment is probably quoted in Euro but you can pay in Kuna.....and a trip to Trogir is definitely worth your time.

Split, Croatia
4. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

Hi,

You don't have to worry about Euro. Croatia has entered in EU but it should pass at least 3 to 4 years before the Euro substitute Kuna. Just take both Kuna or Euros. Regarding Trogir I highly recommend to visit it as it's another UNESCO destination, sometimes called little Venice, but less crowded and less expensive. If you are flying to Split, Trogir is only 7 km from the airport.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
5. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

As you are from the UK and won't have euros in your pocket to start with, use ATMs. There's not a lot of point your paying an exchange fee to get euros and then another one to change to kuna.

If you were to take pounds with you.......I am not sure of the situation in Croatia but in Poland you get a better exchange rate from money-exchange places than from using an ATM (someone at our bank told me that....and it was true, at all "kantors". I used an ATM once so I did have a proper comparison). When we went to Croatia I had taken some kuna with me (changed in advance) to get started then used ATMs and paid for some things by credit-card. I never thought to check the exchange rate at banks/post offices to compare with what I got from ATMs (The Poland trip was later)

Over half of foreign visitors to Croatia are from Italy or German-speaking countries so German and Italian are the main foreign languages used along with English. Polish would be a big surprise, unless it's one or two resorts particularly popular with Poles; we didn't see many Polish cars on the roads

Kilmarnock, United...
reviews: 68
6. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

Just checked and the exchange rate from pounds to kuna here is 8.6481 Is this any good?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Durham
reviews: 8
7. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

No, it's poor. If you have a debit or credit card without foreign use charges the rate right now is 9.188 kuna to the pound. Second best is exchanging cash in Croatia which will cost you 1-2% at the banks and better exchange offices.

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 50
8. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

You would do better to get one of the debit or credit cards where you can draw money without any or very minimal charges - check out something like this for cards and for best cash rates: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-money/

As regards your trasnfer - why not get the aiport bus direct to the centre of Split - about 5 euro or 30 kuna each? And yes, visit Trogir.

Sarajevo, Bosnia...
reviews: 21
9. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

Just bring your pounds, any of hundreds of change boutiques will give you the best rates, not airports, not hotels, not banks, just plain and simple little mom and pop family run souvenir shops and tourist agencies!

Split, Croatia
reviews: 36
10. Re: Kuna or euros? Holiday July 2014 ultra europe

Dont bring any pounds or euros. Tons of ATMs, just put in your debit card and get local kunas at the official bank rate...saves carrying or changing money, period. Trogir is a spectacular UNESCO World Heritage site and you can even get a water taxi right from Split's waterfront for around $5.