We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Which Split hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montpellier
Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Which island around Split would perhaps rival Dugi Otok for surreal blue waters and quiet island pace?

Note: This is an excerpt from my main post on the Croatia forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294453-i1554-k677…

9 replies to this topic
New York
reviews: 54
1. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

I am not familiar with Dugi Otok, but Brac and Hvar come to mind. Enjoy,

Durham
reviews: 7
2. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

If you want quiet and limited numbers of tourists - Šolta.

Montpellier
3. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Thanks for the tips and I just looked at photos of Solta...looks stunning. Is the water still relatively warm for swimming mid Sept?

Split, Croatia
4. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Solta is very near Split so water isn`t as clear as in island Vis...

Brighton, England
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
reviews: 38
5. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Šolta is very under-rated - mid Sept will be good weather for swimming.

Split, Croatia
reviews: 33
6. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Sollta has fabulous ocean swimming...more than 20 covers, steps cut into the rocks down to the sea....do bring swim shoes so getting in and out over the smooth, but numerous rocks is easy. Very tranquil, only 1500 year round residents, mostly apartments. Lots of sailboats! For something more lively, Brac is very diverse with sleepy villages, hot beaches and night life and ancient history and culture. Hvar is Brac with more panache because of the global buzz the island gets not because it is any more interesting or historic, but the rich and famous drop in and somehow that counts for more than locals. Licing here in Split, my favorite islands are Korcula which is Hvar and Brac rolled into one without the trappings and Solta which is curiously, still an enigma to most and has only l organized tour that maybe gets 100 visitors a year!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 22
7. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

I also say take a look at Vis!

Montpellier
8. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Thanks so much for all your input. I hope I made the right decision by taking advice not to head down to Split on this trip since we are focusing on Zadar area (including Plitvice) with island time on Dugi Otok. Will definitely keep these comments in mind for the next time.

Split, Croatia
reviews: 33
9. Re: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?

Not to worry. The islands off Zadar and Kornati national park are great...Split is more alive than Zadar but when it comes to islands Croatia is a treasure.

Reply to: Islands near Split vs Dugi Otok?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted