We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hvar or split?

Which Split hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland
hvar or split?

i tried that one already and its booked! we were looking at hotel park and the jadran - mostly just based on their location (on or right by the beach and close to old town) but do you still suggest staying in split over hvar for the 3 nights?

we will have rented a car to drive from dubrovnik up to split. is it easy to bring cars to hvar if that is where we stayed? as we will need it to drive back to dubrovnik.

thanks for your advice!!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
reviews: 41
1. Re: hvar or split?

If the choice is Split or Hvar I would definitely say Hvar. To me its just great to get out to one of the islands to experience what they have to offer. Split is a nice place, but just a bit too big and populated for me to want to spend too much time there.

It will be easy to get a car to Hvar and you could look into taking a ferry from Dubrovnik to Hvar or vice versa if the schedule allows that to happen. Look into that. But yes it can be done, you just get in line, buy a ticket, drive the car onto the ferry and drive it off when you get to your destination. Have a great trip to wonderful Croatia!!

USA
2. Re: hvar or split?

you could take the car ferry all the way from Split to Dubrovnik (via Hvar) if you wanted to. My father took the road from Sucaraj to Hvar two years ago (from Drvenik port on the mainland) and said it was not worth taking. He was a bit concerned about how narrow the road was. Said it was one of the more dangerous roads he has been on in Croatia for the past 11 trips he has made. Go there via Split or Dubrovnik...depending on which direction you are coming from.

3. Re: hvar or split?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 01, 2009