We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Which Odessa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Hello, I have a question about getting from Downtown Odessa(Deribasovskaya street etc. to Arcadia Beach.) I would like to take public transportation if able, if I understand correctly the public transport that goes from Downtown Odessa to Arcadia is either Tram # 5 or Bus # 195

My question is where would be the easiest place for me to pick up either the bus or the tram? Would it be the big main train station or some other big landmark? Also would these vehicles be easy enough to Identify them with the respective numbers on them? Additionally, when I buy a ticket from the driver is it standard to validate the ticket on a punch on the tram or bus?

Thank you for all the help!!!!

Odessa, Ukraine
reviews: 9
1. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Hi!

I don't believe it would be pleasure to take a trip with overcrowded tram. Better take taxi, around 5$ only.

But if you are a fun of public transportation, nearest to Deribasovskaya str. would be trolleybus #5. Bus stop is located at Bunina str / Preobragenskaya Str or Bunina/Ekaterininskaya.

Bus stops in downtown are visible:

timer.od.ua/wp-content/…blak3320.jpg

There is a map in English:

timer.od.ua/wp-content/…blak3321.jpg

Trolleybus you would identify easy:

odessa.ua/images/Image/Transport/IMG_1006.jpg

You will have to pay 1.25 hryvna to trainman and he will pucnh the ticket.

If you like to ask someone question, better approach to young people (students) - old generation doesn't speak English.

P.S. Watch your pockets in public buses, there active pickpockets, especialy on tram #5, trolleybus 5 and 9

Edited: 2:08 am, June 01, 2011
Shreveport...
2. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Thanks for all the pictures and the great info!

Indore
reviews: 6
3. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Hi

I have been coming to Odessa since past 5 years and have always lived at Derabovskya street or Ikatrinskya Street. I would suggest you to take a taxi rather than taking buses or tram. They are pretty unsafe for foreigners.

If you belong to Ukraine and are used to taking the tram/buses, then it is different but for 50UAH, you will be able to quickly reach Arcadia and will be VERY Safe.

Happy Vacations. :)

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 284
4. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Hi pathakpayal and welcome to Ukraine forum.

May I please ask you to elaborate why exactly you think that "buses or tram.. are pretty unsafe for foreigners"?

At the best of my knowledge no one is asking for a passport of a passenger boarding a public transport. So the risks/safeties are equally the same for locals and foreigners.

Thanks a lot in advance for your considerations!

TLV
5. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Why do you claim buses are not safe?

In case we know we have to be careful of pickpocketing, what else is there not safe?

Odessa, Ukraine
reviews: 9
6. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Nothing else, public transportation is pretty safe.

I'm living in Odessa and I don't use public transportation. Why?

You lose your time, you lose your mood, and you lose your happiness when you use overcrowded public transportation during the rush hours.

I have three options: or my car, or taxi, or just walking, which is my favorite transportation :)

Don't forget: Odessa - it is not just tourist city, it is big city without subway. Over 1 mln people are using buses every day. So, just imagine.

Taxi in Odessa costs less, then subway ticket somewhere in London.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 284
7. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Hi ttor,

While we are waiting for pathakpayal to share their sentiments (that I do hope will follow as I want to understand what bothered them the most), I’d like to comment on what I often see here on TA and on other travel forums.

Travellers DO tend to confuse safety concerns with discomfort from strange environment, with its linguistic, operational, cultural and other “oddities”.

But these are “two big differences” as they say in Odessa!

You are totally correct that pick-pocketing is the major safety concern when taking public transport in Ukraine. And it relates to foreigners no more and no less than to locals.

Kyiv
reviews: 2
8. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

Absolutely agree with Cora and can't wait for pathakpayal elaboration.

Indeed, discomfort and unsafety are "two big differences" . And of course, the "chances" to become a pick-pocketing victim rise (both for locals and foreigners) with the number of people travelling on the same bus/ trolleybus etc. But I don't think this is something unique for Ukraine.

Edited: 10:28 am, June 08, 2011
New York
reviews: 3
9. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

In Odessa now and tram 5 is great....lots of fun for my 8 year old. Can't get my pocket picked because valuables are in a shoulder bag securely across my chest. But good advice to watch for pick pockets and to be vigilant about your valuables at the beach (my shoulder bag is either my pillow or across my chest).

If you'll be in Odessa for a few days buy the big 20 grivna Odessa map. Don't be afraid to just jump on a marshuktra going the direction you want...then if it turns off on a road that isn't your direction or it's too stuffy and smelly, pay your 2.50 grivnas, hop off at the next stop, and mark that marshuktra on your map. It's the best way to learn the transport system.

Marshuktra taxis that work great for tourists: after going down Potemkin Stairs and checking out the Odessa Port, when you come back to the road running between the stairs and the port cross the street to the stairs side of the street, and take either marshuktra 190 or 210 and either will get you to the main train station or you can jump out anywhere along the way that's familiar to you just to avoid the long uphill. Cost is 2.50 grivna and you pay just as you exit.

Can see that transport will get smelly/stuffy later in July and August as Odessa gets hotter so listen to those recommending taxis, for hot summer days especially.

If you want to be really creative, have a nice walk down to Lanzheron beach through Shevchenko Park, find the long golf-cart type taxi in the parking lot near the Dolphinarium and take the ride to Arkadia along the bike path, 5.5 kms. Cost is only 20 grivnas per person.

Taxi warnings: outside hotels drivers will insist on high fares--can't blame them. Walk a block from your hotel, stick out your hand palm down, and eventually some old guy in a lada will pull over and negotiate a fare with you. We got 50 grivnas to Bolshoi Fontan area from Arkadia when the drivers outside our hotel insisted on 150 grivnas.

The taxi cab ruse I fell for, is that when negotiating the driver says some fare in the teens like "15" grivna, and then when you give them the 15 grivna at the end of the trip they say "no, no, 50 grivna". Had an incredibly short taxi ride and 15 grivna would have been a fair price for a foreigner, and had to fork over 50 grivna. Say the amount in Russian to confirm or have a pen and paper and write it down and show it to him.

10. Re: Travel from Downtown to Arcadia Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 am, October 04, 2012